20% Surcharge For Travel

In the last 18 months the Government has taken 25 measures to control the dollar situation, creating uncertainty and an stampede to the blue dollar...!!

Some Cuevas did not sell dollars today, not too much offer, and huge demand , hence price spikes. Hoarders believe that if they stay putt the blue dollar price will climb faster !! True or False?

If you are sitting on a pile of dollars it is best to wait till it starts to drop. Till then just change what you need to survive. No use changing now, when in a month you can get 15 to 1. It is all supply and demand controlling the market.

I don't have time to read all 130 + posts but could someone tell me IF I have permanent residence and I buy tickets or tour packages and pay in pesos cash, do I have to prove where the money came from? And what if another permenant resident buys a tour package or tckets for two people..if he has to prove source of money, does he have to show it just for himself or for two people. So complicated!

The way that I read the new law this applies to all foreign charges in US Dollars on Argentine credit cards. Am I right?

I do "exchange" my pesos for Dollars at the official rate by constantly paying off Dollar-denominated invoices in the US with my Argentine credit card and then paying that card debt here in Pesos. The 20% surcharge will cut into my advantage but it's still better than changing at the blue rate and then paying with those Dollars. If the 20% applies to these transactions then I'm getting close to a light-blue rate.

If I'm mistaken somebody tell me.

I don't have time to read all 130 + posts but could someone tell me IF I have permanent residence and I buy tickets or tour packages and pay in pesos cash, do I have to prove where the money came from? And what if another permenant resident buys a tour package or tckets for two people..if he has to prove source of money, does he have to show it just for himself or for two people. So complicated!

There is no requirement to prove the source of the funds. You'll just have to pay a 20% fee on anything that you buy.

The way that I read the new law this applies to all foreign charges in US Dollars on Argentine credit cards. Am I right?

I do "exchange" my pesos for Dollars at the official rate by constantly paying off Dollar-denominated invoices in the US with my Argentine credit card and then paying that card debt here in Pesos. The 20% surcharge will cut into my advantage but it's still better than changing at the blue rate and then paying with those Dollars. If the 20% applies to these transactions then I'm getting close to a light-blue rate.

If I'm mistaken somebody tell me.

That is mostly correct. ANY foreign charges on an Argentine credit card or debit card will have a 20% surcharge (not just USD charges). However, you were already paying the 15% surcharge, so this is just a 5% increase. Most Argentines are taking this in stride as it's still cheaper than the blue rate. The new part of this is that it also applies to travel purchases made in Argentina for travel abroad, regardless of the method of payment used.

So, anyone want to PayPal me with their Argentine credit card and split the profit? :)

but you were already paying a 15% surcharge for those purchase. It is now 20%.

So, anyone want to PayPal me with their Argentine credit card and split the profit? :)

Net profit minus fees and tax is 344 usd per 1000 usd. ;) The only issue is how you bring the dollars back in here to actually make the profit, Xoom has limits...

I believe there is a big gap or loophole that will allow expats to be able to keep buying tickets in pesos, whether they are residents or not...;)

Net profit minus fees and tax is 344 usd per 1000 usd. ;) The only issue is how you bring the dollars back in here to actually make the profit, Xoom has limits...

I have a connection for this part... :)

If you haven't been buying airline tickets for every man and his dog the last few months you are behind the times.
As far as getting the USD back down here, ask around, many Argentines have accounts in other countries and can swap you dollar for dollar to help with cash they have here.

Back