20% Surcharge For Travel

Sorry to butt in, just thought I'd mention that Adri, together with other parents is trying to organise an end of school trip to Brazil or Mexico for her lad and others, due to take place in December 2014.
You can imagine the logistics of planning something like that in this country, where even planning anything for next week is bad enough.
Oops for butting in ;)

Yes, this is definitely the 20% charge being applied to all travel purchased in Argentina. Do not forget that you can claim this back when you file taxes.

But wait, according to AFIP, NO ONE in Argentina pays taxes!

Last year it wasn't worth it to claim back the taxes, this year we'll see! With having to pay for our kid on travel now, it might end up worth it.

Despegar.com indicates that as a non resident, can buy an international air ticket in pesos by depositing the amount with 20% tax in their account with Banco Santander Rio. ???

I bought a ticket from BA to Bolivia today. I paid online (from Montreal), USD with a Canadian credit card... and I have no idea if I paid the 20% or not. Or if I will have to at the gate? The basic fare was $299 USD and the taxes are listed as: 59.90 ZK; 37.32 XR; 34.95 XT.

Maybe it is the 59.90 ZK?

Yes, ZK is code of the AFIP 20% retention. You can see that USD 59.90 is 20% of USD 299.50

Ok well to update -- my husband was trying to buy a ticket EZE - SJC -- we got mine and the kid's with airmiles (we have to travel for my sister's wedding, she decided to boo her wedding date for exactly one month after our child's 2nd birthday, boo on her :S ). Anyway, so he checked flight prices on AA, he is super elite or whatever AA's levels are -- platinum or whatever. The price was showing as 1225. He reserved it and then the next day when he goes to book it comes up as 1446 due to location of billing address. So he calls AA, and he talked to 3 different people, spent over an hour on the phone arguing with them, they were saying that no when he reserved the ticket he had used a US credit card, he said impossible because he didn't reserve with CC, he reserved with his AA member number which clearly states he is in Argentina etc. Anyway, in the end, he argued so long with them that they went into the whole system and changed the price to US$1225 "just for him, just this one time" etc etc. So it seems the price change on the AA site was not the AFIP charge, it was the "screw you, you're booking as a non-US resident charge". If this is true, than he saved himself a bundle since the AFIP charge would have been put as 20% of the 1446.

Re buying tickets in pesos, not sure -- we had no problem, gave the CC number and that was that, there wasn't any talk of AFIP approving sale, just said he can pick up the ticket at the AA office in 24hrs. And he's got a CUIT anyway so that wouldn't have made difference (he's local, earns pesos, and is charged official rate on his card for the purchase + at some point we'll get the 20% tax show up on the bill).

Glad you figured that out - meant to tell you the same thing happened to me a few months ago. I had reserved a ticket on AA US website for a certain price. When I tried to pay for it with an Arg credit card, the price went up several hundred dollars. AA said it was b/c of the credit card having an Argentine address. I wound up paying cash.

I bought a ticket from BA to Bolivia today. I paid online (from Montreal), USD with a Canadian credit card... and I have no idea if I paid the 20% or not. Or if I will have to at the gate? The basic fare was $299 USD and the taxes are listed as: 59.90 ZK; 37.32 XR; 34.95 XT.

Maybe it is the 59.90 ZK?
You must have purchased the ticket from an Argentine web site which makes the purchase subject to the 20% surcharge?? AFIP views purchases made online from an Argentine web site as if you physically purchased the ticket in Argentina: 20% surcharge for a destination outside AR. Rip-off of the highest order for using non AR credit card.

Also, the terms for the group of Adri's son and his friends to travel say that they must have an insurance policy for 100% of the costs in case of agency default or some such event.
Apparently no such insurance policy exists here which is a tad confusing.

You must have purchased the ticket from an Argentine web site which makes the purchase subject to the 20% surcharge?? AFIP views purchases made online from an Argentine web site as if you physically purchased the ticket in Argentina: 20% surcharge for a destination outside AR. Rip-off of the highest order for using non AR credit card.

I'm flying on Boliviana Air... so I assume that the website was Bolivian.

Back