20% Surcharge For Travel

I tried to buy return flights to the UK the other day (with BA).

Even though I was using an Irish credit card, I couldn't find a way to avoid the 20% tax on the flights. (I tried the UK, Ireland, and US sites, and I also tried making the purchase from remote computers - in case the IP address was making some difference)

As a curiousity, I also tried booking the same flights going in the opposite direction (i.e. a return flight from the UK to Argentina) on the same date. No 20% charge in this case.

So, at least for BA, it appears that the 20% is charged on all bookings where the first flight originates in Argentina. The credit card or site used doesn't appear to make a difference.

The 20% charge is imposed by AFIP -- for Argentines they say if not charged in the moment it will come through on your CC statements after (as do the charges paid outside of the country). For foreigners purchasing with foreign credit cards, if they aren't charged at the moment of purchase I don't see how they will do it -- unless it becomes something like it used to be when airport fees were charged separately --- that until you presented your receipt showing you had paid, you couldn't go through security and immigrations at the airport...

The 20% charge is imposed by AFIP -- for Argentines they say if not charged in the moment it will come through on your CC statements after (as do the charges paid outside of the country). For foreigners purchasing with foreign credit cards, if they aren't charged at the moment of purchase I don't see how they will do it -- unless it becomes something like it used to be when airport fees were charged separately --- that until you presented your receipt showing you had paid, you couldn't go through security and immigrations at the airport...

The charge is imposed by AFIP but airlines are obliged to collect it for all travel originating in Bs As. Cant see how it can be avoided.

unless it becomes something like it used to be when airport fees were charged separately --- that until you presented your receipt showing you had paid, you couldn't go through security and immigrations at the airport...

I'm inclined to think that this might happen. :S

Aside: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it's actually quite cheap to buy return tickets to Sao Paulo (paying the 20% surcharge on them), and buy your long-haul flights originating from there (sans 20%). Obviously the cheaper option is to pay in pesos at the official rate + 20%, but that's not always an option for people.

Dear Nikad, (6th April reply)
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have not left the country since November 2007, so it was before the restriction.

Having to pay USD for travel tickets took the fun out of travel and my travel budget!

It is more concerning that I have read every reply and comment on this thread today, and it seems that there is still great confusion about details.
I am concerned about what I read about not being able to buy travel packages out of the country as a non-resident. I guess i will try to cross that bridge when I get there!

Aren´t there any members who are higher up the aechelon in airlines and travel companies who could help to clarify the surcharge, paying with foreign credit cards, and purchasing international travel packages? I am sure things will change, but it would be helpful to all of us to know the "state of play" today.

Well, the whole deal is that you pay for travels in dollars but at the oficial rate plus the 20% that is a pyment is advance of income tax.

Whatever you spend abroad, if you pay with an AR credit or debit card, you pay the official dolar rate plus the 20%.

If the travel was for busisness/work, you can dedict fron the income tax at the end of the year.

But if you pay cash, you pay at blue.

i m right now at Rio de Janeiro for a short vacation. I suggest you avoid despegar.com because they are too expensive with the extra 20%.

I bought the tickets at asatej and they cost 25% less with all the taxes included.

So, i guess that it is better to have an AR credit card but for that you need a DNI.

Regards

Well, the whole deal is that you pay for travels in dollars but at the oficial rate plus the 20% that is a pyment is advance of income tax.

Whatever you spend abroad, if you pay with an AR credit or debit card, you pay the official dolar rate plus the 20%.

If the travel was for busisness/work, you can dedict fron the income tax at the end of the year.

But if you pay cash, you pay at blue.

i m right now at Rio de Janeiro for a short vacation. I suggest you avoid despegar.com because they are too expensive with the extra 20%.

I bought the tickets at asatej and they cost 25% less with all the taxes included.

So, i guess that it is better to have an AR credit card but for that you need a DNI.

Regards

also check for flights leaving carrasco in montevideo, sometimes it can work out cheaper taking the boat over and then flying out.

Back