20% Surcharge For Travel

Airlines cannot issue tickets today. Seems there is a meeting end of the day to know what is happening...hopefully I won't regret not to have issued yesterday...

Mhhhh indeed... Una "orden no escrita partió de la AFIP y del Banco Central", jeje.

I just tried to book an Air France flight, to pay it in pesos in Santander Rio like I did last year, and it's only possible to pay via credit card now.
Cannot help but think this "unwritten order from AFIP and the Central Bank" banning non-residents from purchasing tickets in pesos has some legal or treaty type ramifications. Of course they are going to do what they wish, but something is amiss when they will not commit the ban in writing. Shall see how it plays out.

Everyone using Argentine dollars to pay for a product/service overseas, has to pay the 20% surcharge

So just to confirm... if your Argy partner buys you a plane ticket on a website such as despegar.com, which charges in ARG pesos, you won't be affected by the 20% fee?

So people will have to take Buquebus to Montevideo and buy tickets and packets there - a farewell to Argentine travel agencies?

No man, what good thas this make to you? if you are going to go to Uruguay to pay the ticket you will have to get usd at blue rate, so what the point, is preferable to pay with credit card pluss 20% in pesos than to pay in dollars that are 50% more.

Ugh.... Scary as Hell! It feels like being in a room with all the walls closing in!

Hypothetical question (unless I missed something here): I'm a US citizen and an Argentine permanent resident (all papers/documents/etc. totally valid and won't expire for several years). If/when I need to travel back to the US, if I have a family member back home in the States (with only US citizenship, absolutely no connection or any legal ties to Argentina in any way whatsoever) purchase a plane ticket for me using their US credit card in my name leaving from EZE, would the 20% charge apply to my family member's purchase?

... I guess that even if the consensus is "yes," I can't hold my breath at this point that even that little luxury/loophole will apply in the near future :(

It seem that people is not understanding the law, this only apply to payment made in pesos that require to be converted to dollars, it don't make any diference if you have dollars or credit card in dollars, and the nationality or residency dosn't matter, if you pay in pesos then you are prone to be charged 20% extra if you pay on your foreign credit card then no charge will be maded to you, dosn't matter if you are American, Argentine or what ever, you still are better of paying with Argentine Credit card as you will be finishing paying less usd than if you pay on the Foreing credit card, so you are better of if you are resident and you have a credit card from Argentina than if you are a perma turist without credit card from here.

I was thinking the same thing - getting my Dad to pay for my ticket back home - but then i was trying to figure out HOW i would pay him back. Cant pay him back in dollars cos i dont have any and even if i got approved to buy some before my trip it probably wouldnt cover the cost of the ticket AND if i use my CC while im there to buy things for him its exactly the same as i will be charged 20% on everything that i buy!!! damned if u do and damned if u dont!!! :(

No good will came to you doing this, pay on your Argentine Credit it still 30% cheaper than using your american credit card as when you use your cc from america you pay dollars and in the other way you pay in pesos + 20%, so you are better off selling dollars at blue rate and pay all in pesos in your CC, and if you have residency ask for the 20% return on the end of the year in your declaracion jurada is much easier than people tend to think.

All despegar.com international purchases are subject to the 20% surcharge

All despegar.com international purchases are subject to the 20% surcharge

Hold on, I really am confused here. If I buy a package from despegar.com in pesos for a trip to mexico, in pesos, with my arg cc I don't pay any surcharge?...or do I ? Help! Flight to London with arg cc where price is quoted in pesos, do I pay 20% extra?

Hold on, I really am confused here. If I buy a package from despegar.com in pesos for a trip to mexico, in pesos, with my arg cc I don't pay any surcharge?...or do I ? Help! Flight to London with arg cc where price is quoted in pesos, do I pay 20% extra?

Both cases YES...! IMHO j
The pesos must be converted to Dollars by despegar.com, that have to be sent to the service provider in Mexico or UK.

If you use Argentine Dollars you pay surcharge.( If you Play you Pay)

Back