20% Surcharge For Travel

I'm not sure I understand why they are adding the charge on foreign cards as well if the purpose was to prevent people from getting away with a better exchange rate. Paying with a foreign credit card we are already getting the bad exchange rate :(

What if the ticket was purchased before the 20 percent was imposed? What if it was a free frequent flier ticket? Anybody have experience with this?

What if the ticket was purchased before the 20 percent was imposed? What if it was a free frequent flier ticket? Anybody have experience with this?
Have flown on two reservations paid for in pesos and purchased one week before the 20 % surcharge was implemented. Have not experienced a problem: tourist, US passport. However, when checking in have noticed some passengers, which I believer were flying on an Argentine passport were sent to the AFIP people. They have a booth set up. Fly on Delta out of terminal C. Can only speculate what the deal is with the other poor souls. Think the deal is if the ticket was purchased on a credit card and the transaction is not been paid off before you fly, you are subject to the 20% surcharge. YMMV. Award tickets, " I know nothing."
Good luck

Some info on travel and the surcharge which most believe will increase to 40%.

http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/161460-La-caja-apremia-y-afirman-que-la-aplicacin-de-un-nuevo-recargo-al-dlar-tarjeta-es-slo-una-cuestin-de-tiempo
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.iprofesional.com/notas/161460-La-caja-apremia-y-afirman-que-la-aplicacin-de-un-nuevo-recargo-al-dlar-tarjeta-es-slo-una-cuestin-de-tiempo&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

I checked the KLM website for flights and they specifically state that only Argentine credit cards will be charged the 20% surcharge. So maybe book a flight with them to get to Europe is a good option if you can pay by foreign CC.. Downside is that they don't accept cash payments in Argentina...

I checked the KLM website for flights and they specifically state that only Argentine credit cards will be charged the 20% surcharge. So maybe book a flight with them to get to Europe is a good option if you can pay by foreign CC.. Downside is that they don't accept cash payments in Argentina...
Always thought non AR credit cards would not be subject to the surcharge. However, some have reported paying the 20% when using a non AR CC.
Thanks for the info

I just looked at flights to go back to SF for a month after Christmas. Here was the breakdown on united.com

Argentina Ticket Tax 414.50 ARS
Argentina Retention Income Tax 1,657.90 ARS
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax 90.60 ARS
Argentina Security Tax 52.70 ARS
Argentina Immigration Tax 52.70 ARS
Argentina Airport Tax 196.70 ARS
U.S. Customs User Fee 29.00 ARS
U.S. Immigration User Fee 36.90 ARS
U.S. APHIS User Fee 26.40 ARS
September 11th Security Fee 39.60 ARS
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge 15.80 ARS
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax 90.60 ARS

Total fare was 10,993.40 ARS. 2703.40 in taxes/fees.

If I pay for a ticket in cash as a non-resident foreigner I wouldn't have to pay the 20% tax correct?

When purchasing a ticket online with a US carrier, originating in BUE for travel to the US, and using a US issued credit card, select the US as your country of residence when making the reservation. I just booked a flight from BUE to NYC on American, for travel the middle of June, for a fare of approx US$1190.00, with a total tax of approx US$176.00. That is the same tax amount collected last October for a trip I made to NYC in December. This total tax amount does not include the 20% Argentine income tax surcharge in either case. If one's US credit card is issued in the US, with a US billing address, then there's no reason that one cannot indicate their country of residence as the US. Again, this is for online ticket purchases only. I know it works with American, not sure about United or Delta.

Back