29 Y.o. Male Seeking A Radical Sabbatical In Ba.

Duffy

Registered
so after my ticket(s) I will have around 2000 usd to spend in BA for an extended period of time. About how long can I spend in BA with modest accommodations? I'd like to just rent a place for a certain amount of months and explore the city from the perspective of a local.

As a Southern California native, I understand a little Spanish but have little experience speaking it. Will this help me at all, is the Mexican style of Spanish I am accost used to translatable down in Argentina?

In my romanticized version of my trip, I would like to take a small job where I immersed myself with the people of the city, even if the pay is below what I am accustomed to. What kind of jobs can I acquire out there as an American with experience in marketing, social media, video production, and outstanding writing skills? Can I teach English out there without a bachelors degree (I completed all my courses but do not have a degree due to a technicality involving me despising the idea of unpaid internships).

Although I do not drink, I love going out and doing late night activities (not much of a dancer though). Where is a good neighborhood for me.

I also have a job that I can work remotely with some of my time that yields some money, what do I do if I fall ill ever with BA and wish to stay but have no "work" within the country? Do I just fly under the radar?

Excited to hear from you expats on my prospective journey. You can talk to me here or directly on Twitter @danielclauser

Hasta luego

2000USD = 24000 pesos AR if you exchange on the 'black market'

Modest rent in a decent neighbourhood will run you 5000-7000 pesos per month.

Food, if you like going out, will run you 2500-3000 pesos per month. Maybe less if you don't drink.

If you add entertainment costs to that, you're looking at $2000 lasting you 2-3 months.

You can probably find work as an English teacher, but it generally pays under 100pesos per hour, and you have to build yourself up to more hours, most inexperienced teachers start with no more than a few hours per week.

Working remotely is your best bet. If you fall ill, healthcare is free, but not to a high standard. Flying under the radar as a tourist won't be a problem, you probably won't be working officially anyway.

Basic Spanish will help you a little, but not much. You should probably take lessons when you get here.

My numbers may be off here and there, I'm sure others will chip in and correct me if need be.

Good luck! When are you thinking of coming?

What is your ethnicity? That can be a very important factor.

Being white in Argentina = Good
Being a rich foreigner in Argentina = Good
Being a white rich foreigner in Argentina = Best
Being a dark skinned poor foreigner in Argentina = Very likely to suck balls.

Being a dark skinned poor foreigner in Argentina = Very likely to suck balls.

Yes, there are no dark skinned successfull people in Argentina. Thats why Bolivians, Peruvians and Paraguayans (and even Chileans) keep comming over and over and over again.

Do you know who Carlos Ávila is?

so after my ticket(s) I will have around 2000 usd to spend in BA for an extended period of time. About how long can I spend in BA with modest accommodations? I'd like to just rent a place for a certain amount of months and explore the city from the perspective of a local.

I lived in Capital Federal for four years and acquired permanent residency during that time. I never considered myself a local, but I stopped thinking of myself as a tourist when I acquired temporary residency (almost six months after my arrival). During your stay for "a certain amount of months" you will be treated like a tourist by the locals, but that's really OK! Most Argentines in BA are very friendly!

As a Southern California native, I understand a little Spanish but have little experience speaking it. Will this help me at all, is the Mexican style of Spanish I am accost used to translatable down in Argentina?

I lived in Mexico for five years before coming to BA in 2006. Some, but not all of the locals in BA understood what I was saying when I spoke Spanish, and I understood far fewer of the Argentines in Argentina than the Mexicans in Mexico .

In my romanticized version of my trip, I would like to take a small job where I immersed myself with the people of the city, even if the pay is below what I am accustomed to. What kind of jobs can I acquire out there as an American with experience in marketing, social media, video production, and outstanding writing skills?

Can I teach English out there without a bachelors degree (I completed all my courses but do not have a degree due to a technicality involving me despising the idea of unpaid internships).

Having (or not having) a bachelors degree has nothing to do with getting a job teaching English in Argentina. Being a certified English teacher is what's important. There is always a chance of "acquiring" a job in marketing, social media, or video production. I suggest you start you search on Craigslist before you purchase your tickets.

I also have a job that I can work remotely with some of my time that yields some money, what do I do if I fall ill ever with BA and wish to stay but have no "work" within the country? Do I just fly under the radar?

It isn't clear what you are asking. It is difficult to tell you what to do if you "fall ill ever with BA and wish to stay but have no "work" within the country." Are you asking what you should do if you become ill or if you fall in love with BA but have no way of supporting yourself?

2000USD = 24000 pesos AR if you exchange on the 'black market'

Modest rent in a decent neighbourhood will run you 5000-7000 pesos per month.

Food, if you like going out, will run you 2500-3000 pesos per month. Maybe less if you don't drink.

If you add entertainment costs to that, you're looking at $2000 lasting you 2-3 months.

You can probably find work as an English teacher, but it generally pays under 100pesos per hour, and you have to build yourself up to more hours, most inexperienced teachers start with no more than a few hours per week.

Working remotely is your best bet. If you fall ill, healthcare is free, but not to a high standard. Flying under the radar as a tourist won't be a problem, you probably won't be working officially anyway.

Basic Spanish will help you a little, but not much. You should probably take lessons when you get here.

My numbers may be off here and there, I'm sure others will chip in and correct me if need be.

Good luck! When are you thinking of coming?

More like 2 months being thrifty.... :mad:

This from the guy that thinks racial slurs are all in good fun.

Please, before you accuse, prove it. Quote me when I said something racial was funny. If you are referring to some ways porteños call foreigners, you will never understand since you re not a porteño, why we call people negro, gordo, chino, loco, etc, all with affect. I made a list explaining which ones were considerated offensive and which ones not. For example, bolita or brazuca or chilote, are offensive, but paragua or yorugua or franchute, are not. If you dont get it, and it seems you dont, it is your problem.

For example, bolita or brazuca or chilote, are offensive, but paragua or yorugua or franchute, are not. If you dont get it, and it seems you dont, it is your problem.

f30d6f10f392de31015cdb3f52de12e144d680c2100739f54e9491fd97cc3ac0.jpg

jaja, laugh all you want.

I cant see why you guys have problems to understand that NEGRO is an endearment term here.

Back