Solo female looking for a safe place

Jenn King

Registered
Hello, I have never been to Argentina but I had planned to go in February this year. I don't know what to think because I have read a lot about Buenos Aires being among the safest places to go but today I just read a post on another site about a man who was mugged in Palermo. As a single female who will be living alone I am wondering if maybe this isn't a good idea after all or if I should go somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know if I will get used to the city noise or not. I have always lived in small towns. My plan was to find an apartment as high up as possible that does not face the street. But I am wondering if I should go to one of the smaller coastal towns further south. If anyone has thoughts on all of this, I would appreciate it so much!

Jenn

Hello Jenn, what do you look like? I don't mean that in a flirty kind of way but - and by the way, DON'T answer this but - what kind of racial profile do you present? Buenos Aires has a complete mix of people from all over the world so unless there is something outrageous about you, you will blend in and nobody will notice but - apart from some Welsh and German communities, the further you go from Buenos Aires, the more you will be recognised as as foreigner and also, the more you will need to depend on speaking Spanish to get by.

Palermo is popular with tourists and comparatively safe provided you don't flash your jewellery or wave your phone around on the street. Most people have an extremely pleasant and uneventful time there and although a rear facing apartment will certainly be quieter, depending on where you are located you could miss some spectacular views. Come and enjoy your stay: you'll be fine.

Thank you so much! I'm just your average white lady I suppose. I don't have expensive jewelry or a really great phone and I don't wear expensive clothes. I'm 5' tall and I weigh 105 lb. Right now I am really drained from a medical condition (which I believe will improve in the climate there). So, I'm not really in a position to put up a great defense if I were attacked. I don't know anyone there at all and I am going alone so I nobody is going to have my back or anything. I don't have to go out after dark although I like walking at night. I don't drink because I don't like alcohol and I am not really a partying type at all; fairly introverted. I just want to go somewhere where I can do some people watching, enjoy the weather, hopefully find some online work to generate income, and be left alone. So when I read about the guy getting attacked for his ear buds (which I don't use) it was really disappointing because I have been planning this for quite some time.

I live in belgrano, and love it. The streets are well lit and night and reasonably quiet. I still dont walk after dark because taxis are so cheap and it is not worth it to me, but i see really old ladies walking after dark (at reasonable hours). I would not let insecurity deter you. Just be smart and stay alert (dont get distracted by your phone).

Thank you so much! I'm just your average white lady I suppose. I don't have expensive jewelry or a really great phone and I don't wear expensive clothes. I'm 5' tall and I weigh 105 lb. Right now I am really drained from a medical condition (which I believe will improve in the climate there). So, I'm not really in a position to put up a great defense if I were attacked. I don't know anyone there at all and I am going alone so I nobody is going to have my back or anything. I don't have to go out after dark although I like walking at night. I don't drink because I don't like alcohol and I am not really a partying type at all; fairly introverted. I just want to go somewhere where I can do some people watching, enjoy the weather, hopefully find some online work to generate income, and be left alone. So when I read about the guy getting attacked for his ear buds (which I don't use) it was really disappointing because I have been planning this for quite some time.
Buenos Aires is a large and very metropolitan city. If you present and behave as “an average white lady” you will be treated as such and will not be bothered in any respect. It’s a fine city for people watching. You will enjoy going down by the river, to the weekend artesenal fair in Recolita for example, and do like the locals: sit on the many benches, sometimes for hours, just soaking up the sun.

Back