3,2,1 - Lets Go! Considering a move to BA

ba_baby

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the boards but I've been reading several posts and getting some great advice! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I live in San Francisco and have a good job as a Health Care Consultant, but something will not rest in my soul until I live/work abroad. Someone told me about BA and I like what I see. I am considering leaving my job to move to BA for a few years and live off of my savings/teach English.

I'm moving in 2010 and I've been looking into housing. I like luxury apartments. I hope to live with a roommate(s) for the first six months to a year and then find an apartment of my own.

Many of these luxury apartments are expensive and obviously geared towards tourists. Locals probably pay a fraction of the cost tourists are expected to pay - even for luxury apartments.

I've read that to get the local rate, you have to sign a long lease and have a 'guarenteer' and/or pay several months rent up front. I am planning to get an Argentinian boyfriend to guarentee for me or front the cash in order to get the local rate.

Exactly how much would a local BA resident pay for a furnished luxury 1 bedroom apartment? All information I've seen stated rates in US dollars and are obviously for short term tourists. Is there a site someone can guide me to that local BA residents use to find apartments?

Many Thanks,

ba_baby

ba_baby said:
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the boards but I've been reading several posts and getting some great advice! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.I live in San Francisco and have a good job as a Health Care Consultant, but something will not rest in my soul until I live/work abroad. Someone told me about BA and I like what I see. I am considering leaving my job to move to BA for a few years and live off of my savings/teach English.

I'm moving in 2010 and I've been looking into housing. I like luxury apartments. I hope to live with a roommate(s) for the first six months to a year and then find an apartment of my own.

Many of these luxury apartments are expensive and obviously geared towards tourists. Locals probably pay a fraction of the cost tourists are expected to pay - even for luxury apartments.

I've read that to get the local rate, you have to sign a long lease and have a 'guarenteer' and/or pay several months rent up front. I am planning to get an Argentinian boyfriend to guarentee for me or front the cash in order to get the local rate.

Exactly how much would a local BA resident pay for a furnished luxury 1 bedroom apartment? All information I've seen stated rates in US dollars and are obviously for short term tourists. Is there a site someone can guide me to that local BA residents use to find apartments?

Many Thanks,

ba_baby

Hello baby,

Just yesterday I was thinking about the fact that there have been few posts in recent months by wannabe expats who have never visited but were planning on moving to BA...full of illusions and fantasies of life here.

Someone "told" you about BA and you like what you see? Do you mean you like what you heard? If you haven't been here you haven't really seen anything. If you have some vacation time coming, please use it for a two to four week visit before you make such a drastic decision.

It sounds like you already know that you will not find a "good job" in the health care industry, and teaching English probably won't generate enough income to pay for a one half or one third share of a luxury (furnished) apartment. It is doubtful any Argentine would rent a "luxury" apartment (especially long term) to two or three foreigners who are here on tourist visas, living of their savings, and/or teaching English. It's an even bigger fantasy to think you can find an Argentine boyfriend who will front the cash for an apartment or be in a position to "guarantee" (note the spelling) a long term rental. In fact, it's the biggest wannabe expat fantasy I have ever encountered. (Argentine men will expect you to pay...just ask austgirl.)

Argentines who live in furnished, luxury apartments also usually own them. Few (if any) BA residents pay rent to live in a furnished luxury apartment. Even for residents, apartment hunting is difficult, and usually requires visits to many small real estate offices. Even though many short and long term rentals can be found on the web, it is not possible to accurately judge an apartment on a computer screen. Negative aspects of a rental that can be seen in person are never included in the web description.

Apartments that are rented long term (two year leases) are not furnished by the owners and as a foreigner here on a visa transitoria, you cannot legally sign a two year lease. There is a possibility that someone would rent you a furnished apartment for two years and give you a "discount" but legally the contract could only be for six months at a time. You will never get the "local" rate. Some "agencies" would even want to charge a commission and/or raise the rates every six months (each time you renew).

Offcourse you can rent for 2 years if you make an agreement with the homeowner, but it would be atleast 25 to 50% over the marketvalue for Argentines. It makes more sense to rent 6 months at a time becuase it gives you more flexibility and you could go let's say 3 months back to the USA when you want to

If you are planning on a luxury 3 bed-room appartement for 2 persons it cost you around 600 to 800 dollar a month a person. If you want to rent a luxury 2 room appartment it cost you anywhere between 800 and 2000 dollar a month.

The best thing you can probally do is come over for a month, rent an appartement for 1 week,10 days and see how you like it and see if you can get a decent job. If you like it rent it for like 3 to 6 months once you get back from the US, you will get a nice discount then

It's a fantasy that somebody is going to sign a 2 year lease(he is responsable as well with another property as bail) to an almost complete stranger. Keep on dreaming !!!!!

A decent life with a luxury appartement without healthcare cost and trips back to the US cost you about 1500 to 2500 dollar a month. Be prepared to have saved atleast 10k a year if you actually plan on doing this

Hi Baby,

Many people have come to BA in the last 10 years and in general there is great satisfaction with this city. amongst these visitors and new residents. So I´m not about to warn you of anything special. Of course you´ll most likely take a few days or weeks before you actually sign-up for any long term lease, in order to test the waters.

About rates, the entire areas that have been "invaded" by expats, (all within the city) have risen in rental fees, and it´s not so easy to get a "local discount rate", because the owner would rather wait another week, for an interested expat. If they are willing to rent out to locals, the place may not be so "hot".

One area you could consider is the northern suburbs, "Zona Norte". They are only 20-30 min away from downtown by the only air-conditioned/heated , mass-transport (train) in this city. You can choose between an apartment, or small house, or rooms in larger homes, for half, to a third of what you pay in town.

Winter here lasts only 4 months from May till August, but anywhere outside these months, you´ld wish you were living in the beautiful and quiet suburbs rather than the bustling, noisy city.

Hope this may help, and WELCOME to BA when you finally arrive!

ba_baby said:
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the boards but I've been reading several posts and getting some great advice! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I live in San Francisco and have a good job as a Health Care Consultant, but something will not rest in my soul until I live/work abroad. Someone told me about BA and I like what I see. I am considering leaving my job to move to BA for a few years and live off of my savings/teach English.

Many Thanks,

ba_baby

Luxury apartments, true luxury apartments are commonly quoted in USD even to locals. Look in the La Nacion classifieds and you'll soon see for yourself that even the longterm rents for luxury apartments are often in USD (it looks better to say rent is 3000 USD a month than to say $11,000 pesos).

Argentine boyfriends will not front you the garantia. There are people that sell garantias, but believe me, the locals do not trust very easily, so you'll have a better chance of buying a garantia than having someone fall in love with you and sign a garantia when you arrive.. People tend to only give garantias to family members, not to some foreigner that they met a few months ago, that could split and leave them with an unfinished contrat and damages to pay.

You need to understand that in Argentina, there is local rate for everything -- local normal apartments and locally produced goods, and then there is luxury rate -- which is almost the same as US prices, for everything else -- luxury apartments, import goods, luxury clothing, couture, electronic goods etc. For luxury apartments, you will pay luxury prices -- I know San Francisco is expensive, but you will not find the great derease you expect in your rent if you want a furnished luxury one bedroom apartment.

That's the other problem with your "luxury" statement -- luxury in the USA and luxury in BA are very very different things. What does luxury mean to you? Luxury that is equivalent to luxury in the States will come with a price tag almost equivalent to that of the States, and will be about half the size. Apartments are pretty small here.

http://www.zonaprop.com.ar/ -- these are where the La Nacion, higher end ads usually end up.

http://www.clasificados.clarin.com/ -- this is where there's more of a diverse range of departments

USARG said:
Hi Baby,

Many people have come to BA in the last 10 years and in general there is great satisfaction with this city. amongst these visitors and new residents. So I´m not about to warn you of anything special. Of course you´ll most likely take a few days or weeks before you actually sign-up for any long term lease, in order to test the waters.

A luxury furnished 2 room appartment in Zona Norte close to Libertador(and Linea Mitre) cost you 800 to 1000 dollar as well. It's not that much more cheaper.

You might get a 2 year lease with garantia for an unfurnished appartement for about 600 dollar a month but that way you need to buy furniture, commit 2 years and get an garantia which is almost impossible for a foreigner

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for a great advice about finding an apartment in BA!

Sounds like the prices quoted for luxury apartments are the prices visitors from abroad must pay - but where there is a will there is a way and I am certain that deals can be made ; )

As a clarification I don't expect someone in BA to front 6 months worth of rent, I plan to come with ample savings in US dollars so if possible I can front the money myself to get a discounted rental rate.

Visiting before moving is a great idea. I don't plan on moving to BA until May 2010 at the earliest. I will visit in November 2009 - if I like it I will move forward with my plans. Quiting a great job in SF to teach English abroad is no small decision and I want to make certain that I will be satisfied with my experience before making a leap.

Thanks everyone - and please keep the advice coming...

ba_baby

One thing to remember about BsAs is that there are few rules. I always advise, come down, get a tourist apartment for a few weeks then look around. You can get an nice apartment without a gaurantor, but it isn't always easy. I suggest you get as many reference letters from employers/bankers/etc. as you can, before you leave. And while locals love to screw expats (they seem to think we are all millionaires), some are very reasonable. I have a very nice 2 bedroom in a great building in Recoleta, very well located, I wouldn't say luxory but a first rate building. I pay about US$800 for everything minus a few expenses. And no gaurantor. ANd I know others who did the same, but it takes work. Just ike the in the US, some landlords are jerks, some are great.

One thing you may find useful here is a letter from your bank in the US with a credit recommendation and an estimate of the monthly income. Get it notarized (your bank can usually do that for you) and then get it translated and notarized down here by an escribano. It means nothing, but Argentines love paperwork and especially lots of stamps!!

Good luck.

Andrea`s Style said:
Dear friend,

thats is best decision, first come and take a look .
You can not do enought money teaching english here.
Also Ba became expensive.
Let me know if you will need an apt for a months or weeks in BA. I have been renting apts for foreigners for 4 year.

I just came back from Spain , i took that kind of decision 1 year and a half ago and believe me it is a BIG ONE. But we have to feel alive, thats life, right?

Good luck!
Andrea
www.andreasstyle.com.ar

Hi. I am wondering how you would compare Spain to Buenos Aires since you were there for a year and a half. Were you in Madrid? More or less how much would you say that it cost you to live monthly in Spain? Pros and cons? Someone not too long ago described BA as a "low key" Madrid.

Hello Wre,

Thanks for the suggestions - someone else told me that in BA they like their paper work. I am planning to get a letter from my bank/employer/and current landlord all attesting to my character and resources.

One question - I thought about bringing my US credit report - but credit reports mean nothing outside of the US. Do you think that bringing my credit report is worth it? Or just stick to the bank statements/letters?

Also, I am planning to rent a room for the first six months ro a year in town. I'd like to get to know some roommates and locals. During that time I may encounter someone who has a nice apartment to rent and won't try to rip me off because I am an expat and who knows...

Thanks!

ba_baby

Back