3 Strikes Your Out.

is this now common practice? or only when you have multiple overstay fines? Has anyone (who has been here for over 6 months) done the border run successfully in the last couple of weeks?

Did you double check carefully that they didn't stamp it somewhere when you weren't looking? The stamps are not always in order, and if it's already full of stamps they'll just start looking for the biggest clean spot they can find.

Checked and definitely no stamp

is this now common practice? or only when you have multiple overstay fines? Has anyone (who has been here for over 6 months) done the border run successfully in the last couple of weeks?

A week ago I did the Colonia run without anyone even batting an eyelash at me. I have been here for a year without overstaying--always leaving at 90 days or before and coming back. To be fair though, last time I left I was in Brazil for a month before coming back. still, like a said, no problems last week. Stamp, stamp, done.

Not anything new, all at the discretion of the official in the booth. Like everywhere else in the world.

From Argentine Embassy site: London

On arrival, nationals exempt from visas are normally allowed to stay 90 days on a multiple entry basis. Before the expiry date they may apply for an extension at Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, only once and for no longer than the same length of stay granted in the visa. Thus, the new expiry date will be normally 90 days after the expiry date of the visa. If the person travels outside of Argentina at any time (under the orignal period granted on arrival or under the extension), when re-entering the country he/she will be usually given another 90 days, which can be subsequently extended. The number of times the traveller can re-enter the country in this way can not be determined beforehand and it is subject to Dirección Nacional de Migraciones being satisfied that the person is not covering an immigration purpose."

In the mean time get a second passport and alternate normally even when they keep electronic records they do not look at them too hard they look at your stamps , with a second passport normally works .
I never do it in Argentina but in other places even when I got a banned entry stamp from Indonesia for overstaying my visa one too many times , claimed a lost passport got a new one , went back ...............

I think they are trying to get tourists that are living in Argentina to go ahead and get residency and/or citizenship. It might be annoying, but I think it's not unreasonable at all...

Your right but would you rather the government be tackling this or another matter. Not exactly top of the list of "things to improve in Argentina".

I think they are trying to get tourists that are living in Argentina to go ahead and get residency and/or citizenship. It might be annoying, but I think it's not unreasonable at all...

For what end? ;)

It's not unreasonable to control immigration, but why now? Especially considering the very little control there is concerning mercosur members.

If it's for tax purposes... any tourist living here is already paying the high VAT taxes. If it's to make sure all workers are en blanco, they have quite a bit of work to do with their own citizens (not to mention that the non-mercosur foreign community is rather small.) I wonder just how strict they're going to get with income and perhaps even world income as AFIP gets better at tracking people's finances.

I have to believe the motivation is more financial than anything to do with immigration control. Hopefully I'm wrong, but frankly I think they're grasping at straws.

That said, anyone living here on any type of permanent basis should get residency or citizenship - I just question the administration's motivation at this time.

For what end? ;)

It's not unreasonable to control immigration, but why now? Especially considering the very little control there is concerning mercosur members.

If it's for tax purposes... any tourist living here is already paying the high VAT taxes. If it's to make sure all workers are en blanco, they have quite a bit of work to do with their own citizens (not to mention that the non-mercosur foreign community is rather small.) I wonder just how strict they're going to get with income and perhaps even world income as AFIP gets better at tracking people's finances.

I have to believe the motivation is more financial than anything to do with immigration control. Hopefully I'm wrong, but frankly I think they're grasping at straws.

That said, anyone living here on any type of permanent basis should get residency or citizenship - I just question the administration's motivation at this time.

Its not now. There was a change on the law on 2010 and they are enforcing it since then. They started with chinese and dominicans. Now there is an amnesty for dominicans so, they have resources available for dealing with expats.

Regarding Mercosur, that is a different matter because they only need to show a mercosur country citizenship and clean criminal records and that s it to get a residency.

Regards

Back