30 year old couple moving to BsAs...is $2,000 a month realistic?

Mira Vos!

Registered
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning on leaving Florida this summer for Buenos Aires. I know that things will likely continue to change due to the economy/inflation, but I wanted to see if $2k a month (right now) for us sounds like it would be srealistic.

About us:

- Likely spending around $500 a month on an Airbnb (Palermo or Recoleta likely)

- I would consider our "lifestyle" 6 or 7 out of 10. When we like to eat out a lot with lunch or dinner but don't really go to expensive or super high end dinners. Girlfriend does like to cook too so I would say we would be cooking 30% of the time.

- Would be using either the "dolar blue" exchange rate or whatever the rate of Western Union is.

- We are pretty active. Would do a lot of walking and if not then buses/metro. Would only use Uber/taxi's on the rare occasion

- I'm sure we will spend a little on entertainment. City tours, futbol games, a boliche once a week.

We both haven't been but plan on travelling the world. I speak conversational Spanish but have already made friends in my industry in BsAs. I personally think there's a lot that I will enjoy about Buenos Aires (food, the type of friends they are, Futbol, nightlife, the city life) so I'm really looking forward to starting our journey!

You'll be fine, especially if you don't experience lifestyle creep. I spend $800-$1000/mo living very well here. that includes rent, monthly bills, eating out most days of the week, very good wine (1500-2000/bottle, as opposed to the 300 peso swill found in chinos), walking everywhere, a new tattoo most months, an in-person personal trainer 3x a week, martial arts 2x a week, etc.

Everyone has a different perspective as to "what is the good life" in BA...

One could assume one is living well spending 1000 usd a month and one could assume one is living well here spending 3000 usd a month or even 5000 usd a month.And both sides can be shocked at the other's claim or definition of the "good life".

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning on leaving Florida this summer for Buenos Aires. I know that things will likely continue to change due to the economy/inflation, but I wanted to see if $2k a month (right now) for us sounds like it would be srealistic.

About us:

- Likely spending around $500 a month on an Airbnb (Palermo or Recoleta likely)

- I would consider our "lifestyle" 6 or 7 out of 10. When we like to eat out a lot with lunch or dinner but don't really go to expensive or super high end dinners. Girlfriend does like to cook too so I would say we would be cooking 30% of the time.

- Would be using either the "dolar blue" exchange rate or whatever the rate of Western Union is.

- We are pretty active. Would do a lot of walking and if not then buses/metro. Would only use Uber/taxi's on the rare occasion

- I'm sure we will spend a little on entertainment. City tours, futbol games, a boliche once a week.

We both haven't been but plan on travelling the world. I speak conversational Spanish but have already made friends in my industry in BsAs. I personally think there's a lot that I will enjoy about Buenos Aires (food, the type of friends they are, Futbol, nightlife, the city life) so I'm really looking forward to starting our journey!
Please take a look at this when you get a chance:

One could assume one is living well spending 1000 usd a month and one could assume one is living well here spending 3000 usd a month or even 5000 usd a month.And both sides can be shocked at the other's claim or definition of the "good life".
Very good Point Ceviche,

A number is only relevant to the person and their way of life.

If two people say they are hungry, each needs a different amount of food to be satisfied.

You'll be fine, especially if you don't experience lifestyle creep. I spend $800-$1000/mo living very well here. that includes rent, monthly bills, eating out most days of the week, very good wine (1500-2000/bottle, as opposed to the 300 peso swill found in chinos), walking everywhere, a new tattoo most months, an in-person personal trainer 3x a week, martial arts 2x a week, etc.

That's awesome, I appreciate your time. We definitely want to experience the city/country but don't see us going super high end with our lifestyle. Really happy to stay in Buenos Aires (likely 6 months or so) in general, but saving money is definitely an additional benefit to it.

Please take a look at this when you get a chance:

Thank you, I enjoy using Numbeo. Wasn't sure how much certain things would change at Dolar Blue/WU exchange rate and also being in a more upscale area in the city (food, entertainment prices etc)

Thank you, I enjoy using Numbeo. Wasn't sure how much certain things would change at Dolar Blue/WU exchange rate and also being in a more upscale area in the city (food, entertainment prices etc)
It's all relative.

Go to the population centers, prices rise.

Yes, I understand a lot of it is relative. Looking for a general idea so things aren't significantly more or less than what I would guess

Yes, I understand a lot of it is relative. Looking for a general idea so things aren't significantly more or less than what I would guess
You need the same advice everyone else receives sooner or later:

That simply being, you need to see things with your own eyes. Only after having that opportunity, can you make a solid decision on what is best for yourself and your family (In your case, girlfriend I believe???). Yes, you can gain insight from afar, but nothing replaces boots on the ground as they say.

Suggestion: Why don't you plan a short trip when it can be done before you pull up stakes and commit yourself? Either way, you may be glad you did?

Back