30 year old couple moving to BsAs...is $2,000 a month realistic?

You'll be fine on that budget. As others have stated make sure you buy any imported products before arriving as they are more expensive in Argentina, like clothing and electronics. Food, rent, labor are cheap.

It's not a "high end" budget here, but it's more than most Argentines earn and you can live without much worry on it if you're only spending $500 on rent.

Since by then (July) there will be a clearer picture of what the diferent neighborhoods have turned into, I suggest you keep an eye on this board.
Definitely, Recoleta is way more old-fartish than Palermo and maybe also less young tourist/traveller friendly.
No way of telling if the bar scene in Palermo will dissapear or recover but that we will find out soon enough when the weather gets warmer and the young continue to ignore all the restrictions.

Word to the wise, make sure you have top notch international health insurance and coverage. Not the time to find it lacking.

Iz

Since by then (July) there will be a clearer picture of what the diferent neighborhoods have turned into, I suggest you keep an eye on this board.
Definitely, Recoleta is way more old-fartish than Palermo and maybe also less young tourist/traveller friendly.
No way of telling if the bar scene in Palermo will dissapear or recover but that we will find out soon enough when the weather gets warmer and the young continue to ignore all the restrictions.

Word to the wise, make sure you have top notch international health insurance and coverage. Not the time to find it lacking.

Iz

Appreciate the information, thank you. Definitely leaning toward Palermo!

In todays, time 1000 usd means 140,000 pesos. This is a LOT of money here..for most Argentines. I would imagine, that at least 97% Argentines are NOT earning 140,000 pesos a month.. So that puts you straightaway in the top 3%. At same time, out of remaining 97% at least 25% own their house outright and have no rent. So maybe you are not in top 3% but in top 75%.

Having said that, things get very rough here when money is short in a foreign country...pesos seem to disappear like anything, once you start spending..

However I can confidently say, one can live like a king in BA if one has limitless dollars and no limitation on spending...there is absolutely no stopping at the kind of experiences one can buy here. Yes, advanced level Spanish is MUST.

Last edited:
In todays, time 1000 usd means 140,000 pesos. This is a LOT of money here..for most Argentines. I would imagine, that at least 97% Argentines are NOT earning 140,000 pesos a month.. So that puts you straightaway in the top 3%. At same time, out of remaining 97% at least 25% own their house outright and have no rent. So maybe you are not in top 3% but in top 75%.

Having said that, things get very rough here when money is short in a foreign country...pesos seem to disappear like anything, once you start spending..

However I can confidently say, one can live like a king in BA if one has limitless dollars and no limitation on spending...there is absolutely no stopping at the kind of experiences one can buy here. Yes, advanced level Spanish is MUST.

Thank you, will definitely improve my Spanish before going over. Also focusing more on Rioplatense (I grew up in South California so it's more Mexican Spanish that I speak)

However I can confidently say, one can live like a king in BA if one has limitless dollars and no limitation on spending...there is absolutely no stopping at the kind of experiences one can buy here.
This is true almost anywhere. In Argentina, you can do it for a lot less than limitless dollars. Imagine someone with a yearly salary of $120,000 a year, or $10,000 a month. A nice amount but certainly not a huge amount (nice living in the U.S. but not "rich"). Here, that would be over 1 million pesos a month. You'd be able to live like a king.

This is true almost anywhere. In Argentina, you can do it for a lot less than limitless dollars. Imagine someone with a yearly salary of $120,000 a year, or $10,000 a month. A nice amount but certainly not a huge amount (nice living in the U.S. but not "rich"). Here, that would be over 1 million pesos a month. You'd be able to live like a king.
For sake of good order, Never wanted to put the numbers - as I noted- basis personal experience in Argentina - expats gets jittery with such numbers spoken in Argentina ( while in NY, people will yawn). But you said it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Probably staying six months, but curious if anyone has experience doing multiple visa runs to Uruguay? I'm sure the first time is fine, but any trouble if you are doing that for 12-18 months?

I really like your user id... "Mira Vos" is something I use often..especially to express my sarcasm with locals.

Back