4 Months In Argentina Or Colombia For Gay American

$1900 USD a month is light? I've seen people here talking about being here quite nicely for less than that, it seems to me, as a tourist. We're talking $25000 pesos a month or so at the current blue rate, or roughly $833 pesos a day. Or, roughly 633 pesos a day after paying $500 USD in rent (or the equivalent), which should be able to get you a pretty decent place. you could probably spend less on that even in a studio apartment, and if you want to go cheaper there are pensiones or hostels as well.

You may have to budget a little, and probably can't think about going around and buying a bunch of touristy stuff to bring back or eating out every night, but I'd think even with a small apartment for four months you could afford to have a decent time here.

You also need to think about how to get that $900 a month that you're earning, down here (that's, in my opinion, your biggest problem).

BTW - I know families who raise children on much less than $25K pesos a month...

$1900 USD a month is light? I've seen people here talking about being here quite nicely for less than that, it seems to me, as a tourist. We're talking $25000 pesos a month or so at the current blue rate, or roughly $833 pesos a day. Or, roughly 633 pesos a day after paying $500 USD in rent (or the equivalent), which should be able to get you a pretty decent place. you could probably spend less on that even in a studio apartment, and if you want to go cheaper there are pensiones or hostels as well.

You may have to budget a little, and probably can't think about going around and buying a bunch of touristy stuff to bring back or eating out every night, but I'd think even with a small apartment for four months you could afford to have a decent time here.

You also need to think about how to get that $900 a month that you're earning, down here (that's, in my opinion, your biggest problem).

BTW - I know families who raise children on much less than $25K pesos a month...
many families raise them with half as that,25.000 is much more than what a profesional makes here
Im looking for job in my profesion,it pays around 10-12 a month
A nice appartment in belgrano,you can get for less than 5000 a month,in faact,less than 4 too

Well, I've spent time in both, I'm a gay male, but white, so I can't really add anything other than the racism rolls on over
in to the gay scene in Argentina too, and all though more subtle than in the United States, it's still present.

Being gay in CO is fine for the most part too, and Bogota is a gay destination too, I was supposed to go for Pride one year
to visit my Colombian friends, who are also gay.

I'd say if you have to pick I'd explore Colombia since you'll get more for your money, the racism isn't close to the level in Argentina,
you'll have better practice with your Spanish, and there is tons to do (as much as Argentina for cheaper).

If you want some suggestions of things to do inbox me, and I could also ask on of my best friends who is gay and Colombian whats
fun gay related.

I visit both countries. the Spanish is a lot cleaner, sin accent, in Colombia but argentina is cheaper.

It's 1900 USD. I might have a bit more but not counting on it. I'll be renting a room and not a full blown apartment. I'm finding accommodations online for about $300-400 usd a month in places like palermo and recoleta so I think I'll be fine on that front. I cook regularly as well. Yeah though my $900 a month will be a problem. I might have to make a couple of trips to Uruguay to get cash.

Well, I've spent time in both, I'm a gay male, but white, so I can't really add anything other than the racism rolls on over
in to the gay scene in Argentina too, and all though more subtle than in the United States, it's still present.

Being gay in CO is fine for the most part too, and Bogota is a gay destination too, I was supposed to go for Pride one year
to visit my Colombian friends, who are also gay.

I'd say if you have to pick I'd explore Colombia since you'll get more for your money, the racism isn't close to the level in Argentina,
you'll have better practice with your Spanish, and there is tons to do (as much as Argentina for cheaper).

If you want some suggestions of things to do inbox me, and I could also ask on of my best friends who is gay and Colombian whats
fun gay related.

Hmm thanks for the comment. I know there's racism in the lgbt community here in the US but I really wouldn't want to hang with those type of people anyways. How does gay racism work in Argentina? What do you mean it's more subtle?

Lol wut? I'm talking about dollars. The annual average salary in Argentina is less than 5k. You're telling me I can't survive on 2k a month?

Nobody's saying you can't do it, but, if you continue with the attitude that the above post displays, you're going to be in for a nasty shock when you get here.

Hmm thanks for the comment. I know there's racism in the lgbt community here in the US but I really wouldn't want to hang with those type of people anyways. How does gay racism work in Argentina? What do you mean it's more subtle.

I'd say it's implicit, you don't see a lot of dating or even hooking up between white Argentines and Natives/Latinos/multi-racial/etc.
Why I say it's more subtle is because you don't actually see "NO BLACKS/ASIANS/BROWNS" in guys profiles, English or Spanish.
Of the gay guys I know in Argentina while I was living there, I was the only one who ever was with Latino guy...

Also, regarding the money, heed others warnings. I lived miserably on ~6,200 ARS a month about 8 months ago, so make it about
~7,700 ARS now and it's hard. If you want to live well you can, but just don't think everything is cheap, the fun/interesting/traveling
is expensive, not to mention renting. I paid less than 3K a month for rent and utilities but that was because I had contract, a friend
that rented the other room in the apt, and his mom's house as colateral if we didn't pay. If you're going to rent a room you're looking
at about triple that almost, so that's $600 USD right there...

Nobody's saying you can't do it, but, if you continue with the attitude that the above post displays, you're going to be in for a nasty shock when you get here.

I'm not trying to display an "attiude". I spent less than 2k a month living in Austin (an expensive American city), I don't see why I can't do that in Buenos Aires. 2k USD is about 26000 ARS at the blue rate. Is that seriously not enough to live decently in a shared house?

I'd say it's implicit, you don't see a lot of dating or even hooking up between white Argentines and Natives/Latinos/multi-racial/etc.
Why I say it's more subtle is because you don't actually see "NO BLACKS/ASIANS/BROWNS" in guys profiles, English or Spanish.
Of the gay guys I know in Argentina while I was living there, I was the only one who ever was with Latino guy...

Also, regarding the money, heed others warnings. I lived miserably on ~6,200 ARS a month about 8 months ago, so make it about
~7,700 ARS now and it's hard. If you want to live well you can, but just don't think everything is cheap, the fun/interesting/traveling
is expensive, not to mention renting. I paid less than 3K a month for rent and utilities but that was because I had contract, a friend
that rented the other room in the apt, and his mom's house as colateral if we didn't pay. If you're going to rent a room you're looking
at about triple that almost, so that's $600 USD right there...

Interesting perspective. God I hate grindr, I don't plan to use that garbage while I'm there lol. It's interesting that the white and latino dynamic happens in Argentina, I feel like it does happen here but I've personally been with quite a few white men so there are certainly quite a few here in the US who are not like that. However your comments are making me feel like Colombia is the smarter choice. Tough decisions ahead.

Back