4 Months In Argentina Or Colombia For Gay American

7600 - 1000 (RT plane ticket) - 300 (3 trips to Uruguay including cheap lunch) - 1600 (4 months rent in a shared apart) = 4700 (and that is generous)

X 13.5 / 120 = 528 pesos / day for food drink transport tourism etc.

can you do it? Sure. Can you even live decently well ? Most likely. Should you be flippant about costs down here? Absolutely not.

I don't know how much of a sex drugs and rock and roll guy you are but if your planing for a porteño nightlife , be aware that 1000 pesos can easily pass through your fingers.

If you want to see other parts of the country transport will be a couple hundred, cheap hotels 50-60/ night. Etc

7600 - 1000 (RT plane ticket) - 300 (3 trips to Uruguay including cheap lunch) - 1600 (4 months rent in a shared apart) = 4700 (and that is generous)

X 13.5 / 120 = 528 pesos / day for food drink transport tourism etc.

can you do it? Sure. Can you even live decently well ? Most likely. Should you be flippant about costs down here? Absolutely not.

I don't know how much of a sex drugs and rock and roll guy you are but if your planing for a porteño nightlife , be aware that 1000 pesos can easily pass through your fingers.

If you want to see other parts of the country transport will be a couple hundred, cheap hotels 50-60/ night. Etc

The plane ticket is already paid for. I'll try to get some part time work as a private English tutor or something small so I might be able to make a bit of change as well.

7600 - 1600 (rent) = 6000
6000 - 200 (two trips to Uruguay) = 5800
5800 - 3200 ($200 a week for food is what I usually spend and that's being generous) = 2600

Fun + other unforseen expenses = does $2600 sound like enough?

I'd say it's implicit, you don't see a lot of dating or even hooking up between white Argentines and Natives/Latinos/multi-racial/etc.
Why I say it's more subtle is because you don't actually see "NO BLACKS/ASIANS/BROWNS" in guys profiles, English or Spanish.
Of the gay guys I know in Argentina while I was living there, I was the only one who ever was with Latino guy...

Also, regarding the money, heed others warnings. I lived miserably on ~6,200 ARS a month about 8 months ago, so make it about
~7,700 ARS now and it's hard. If you want to live well you can, but just don't think everything is cheap, the fun/interesting/traveling
is expensive, not to mention renting. I paid less than 3K a month for rent and utilities but that was because I had contract, a friend
that rented the other room in the apt, and his mom's house as colateral if we didn't pay. If you're going to rent a room you're looking
at about triple that almost, so that's $600 USD right there...
I wouldn't worry about the race thing, it's all depends on you. You will find people who like you in Argentina because of you, not your race.
If I were you, I would be more worried about how to bring your $ in and how to budget your trip. If you are fun, pleasant and somewhat good looking,
you will do great as a gay or straight person. But if someone is a pain in the bt or has unpleasant personalities or dumb, then it doesn't matter
what race he/she is of. To me, less I think about the race, the better I am off.

The plane ticket is already paid for. I'll try to get some part time work as a private English tutor or something small so I might be able to make a bit of change as well.

7600 - 1600 (rent) = 6000
6000 - 200 (two trips to Uruguay) = 5800
5800 - 3200 ($200 a week for food is what I usually spend and that's being generous) = 2600

Fun + other unforseen expenses = does $2600 sound like enough?
Unfortunately, very tight. The taxi to/from EZE, rent deposit, a few things for the apartment, the cost to run around to check out the apartment, a few few drinks at the night clubs,
a dinner with the people you like, pesos flies fast. You will know once you are here. The argie who make 5k dollar a year already live here, they have a place, it's very different for an American tourist on a short trip.

It's easy to spend a lot more than $2000/month, but possibly to live OK (not luxury) for as little as $1000/month. I imagine if you want to go out to a lot to clubs, gay or not, you would need more than $1000/month.

Race depends. How mestizo are you? Soccer player James Rodriguez (castizo more or less) would be fine here. If you look a lot more indio than that you will have to take some precautions to "overcome" this for many Argentinians, but this can be done through dress, manner, and the like. Brown skin as such means nothing. I'm northeast European but am quite brown-skinned during the summer here, as are many people from Scandinavia (who can get even browner than some mulattos). Many high class Argies have south Italian or Arabic blood so they can become quite tan as well. Facial features are used as more of a guide.

Coming from austin as well I can tell you straight up you need more money. Pesos fly fast!!!!

Also. Colombia in My opinion is a better place overall for gays. Not that I have seen anything horrible here but I have heard from locals that they aren't so welcoming.

Just want to chime in on the budget thing: you will be fine!! Yes, you will be in a temporary rental, not a long term, but you can definitely find temporary rooms for USD 300 or 400. I have European friends who share apartments who pay as little as 2000 pesos each a month (temporary furnished rentals). And you are young, so you will make friends with locals and internationals who are students and artists and whatever, and they are great at making the money go far: they know what bars and restaurants are cheap, they know what concerts are free, what days the museums let you in free, they meet up for dinners at home instead of eating out, etc. etc. Do not worry! Check out Couchsurfing, there are tons of events organized by the Couchsurfing community here and some of my best friends I have met there. Great place to meet friends and most people involved in CS are into stretching their money (because they are often either traveling or saving up for a trip.)

Lol wut? I'm talking about dollars. The annual average salary in Argentina is less than 5k. You're telling me I can't survive on 2k a month?

I strongly disagree with everyone who is saying that this is a tight budget. As long as you are not blowing tons of money on an apartment, you will have more than enough money. Of course once you talk about buying flights to travel, that changes things, but just to live in Buenos aires, this is way more than enough to survive, eat out, enjoy the city, etc. for just one person, i really think you'd have to actively try to spend 25000 pesos per month.

im actually kind of shocked that so many people are concerned about this budget for 1 single person.

Back