$500.00 Bills

John Doe

Registered
I;m wondering what experiences you;ve had with $500.00 bills?

Recently, when I was making a purchase at a produce store for $40.00, I gave the woman a $100.00 bill. She asked me for smaller bills and the look she gave me was "that I must be wealthy. My name is Doe, not Rockefeller.

Haven't seen one yet. I think it is going to be some time before they start circulating.

I got one and all I've done is showed it and all the new security details to my friends! ;) I haven't seen anyone try to use one in a purchase yet.

Yeah, my wife brought one home the other day to show it to me as well haha. I don't even remember where she said got it.

I got 10K in them the other week, and have used them at carefour, Starbucks, a lavandera, a taxi, and a bar all without problem, a few looks at first but they all took them.

I still remember the "old days" of 500,000 and 1,000,000 pesos I think if I am not wrong that the colectivo was 12,000pesos and the driver used to have all the various many-zeroed bills between his fingers while driving. Many colectivos never even really stopped, they just slowed down and you more or less jumped on , often hanging on while outside like the famous pictures of the San Francisco tram.
So 500 seems so small! and what about the 200 notes?

This nations shopkeepers all suffer from the same affliction. Despite having a drawer full of coins and small notes they'll never accept a high denomination note without asking you for some additional loose change.

I don't mind them asking - what drives me nuts is that look of contempt, or that you've destroyed their day completely, that they give you when you try to make change on something like what the OP mentioned.

somewhereinba :
".. getting rid of it the quickest" is part of the Peronacho version of Keynesian economics.
HIgh inflation--- -go spend as much $$ ASAP. It keeps the economy churning and people working while we in gov't rake off the really big bucks and U&D,
One of the very many bad results being dirty,ripped and scotch taped almost worhless paper money or "funny money".
I have been here since 1979 and this has always been the modus viviendi.In my view,they like it like that.

Back