90 day visa EXTENSION?

NOLAchef said:
I was told by my spanish teacher that I can apply for a "one time" 90 day visa extension as opposed to hopping over to Uruguay. She said the office is in Retiro close to Busque bus and that I wont need an appointment.
You can, but it's very bad advice.

Never, ever get a prórroga at imigraciones, it will cost you no end of problems later on.

Read old threads about the hazzles you can expect.

Damiancho said:
As you said: "By law they can take away your DNI Permanente"

they CAN, but they wouldn't.
In the worst case you can came back or do some 'tramite' at the argentinas embassy?

Yeah I think when they might take it away is if you had left the country for 10 years and never been back and were trying to use the DNI just to avoid paying an entrance fee. Otherwise they're not really that interested (right now at least).

Argentina isn't really like other countries that try to get its permanent residents on the track to citizenship -- they seem to take more of a "eh, whatever" approach!

Gracias! I would be happy to bounce over to Uruguay for the day but I don't have the freakin' time! Sucks....

Anybody know what the fee is for overstaying your visa? Is it still U$S 75 or did they jack it up with everything else in the crazy country?

THANKS!

ONE more thing! :)

works visas.... I need a birth certificate translated into Spanish by a certified translator. Is a copy of my birth certificate okay or does it have to be the original? What else will I need? I'm single so I don't have to provide pictures of my spouse/children... Just the application filled out by the company, my certified translated birth certificate and my passport with at least 18 months left. Anything else?

Also, if and when I get my work visa (I have a company that will sponsor me) will my overstayed tourist visa be wiped out with my work visa? Or will I still be fined?

THANKS!

NOLA, you will need all original documents, and those from the States need to be apostilled by the Secretary of State in your state of origin. You will also need the FBI background check (file asap, it takes several months to complete). Search around on the forums and you will find a plethora of information on this subject.

If I were you, I'd just overstay the visa and pay the fine when/if you need to leave the country for some reason. I guess I'm a lawbreaker/scofflaw NOW, but playing by the rules got me into way more trouble than it was worth in terms of keeping my visa "in the white" with regular entries/exits into Argentina. Officially the next stamp technically overrides anything that came before it, but someone with a critical eye will be able to determine you've overstayed. Sometimes an overstay or two are less glaring than a bunch of entry/exit stamps in the eyes of an agent with a stick up their butt. When your visa gets approved for your company, they will issue you new dates and the overstay will not matter (while it won't be technically "wiped" as it'll always be visible in your passport, it simply won't matter).

NOLAchef said:
I need a birth certificate translated into Spanish by a certified translator. Is a copy of my birth certificate okay or does it have to be the original? What else will I need? I'm single so I don't have to provide pictures of my spouse/children... Just the application filled out by the company, my certified translated birth certificate and my passport with at least 18 months left. Anything else?

You used the word "certified" but to be precise you need the Apostille for your birth certificate before it can be properly translated. The birth certificate must be a state issued "certified" copy (migraciones will not accept an original hospital issued birth certificate).

You also need a criminal report from the FBI if you are from the USA. It must also have the Apostille.

You will also need a criminal report in Argentina. It's easy to get and good for 60 days. I suggest you wait until you have all your other docs ready before getting it.

NOLAchef said:
Also, if and when I get my work visa (I have a company that will sponsor me) will my overstayed tourist visa be wiped out with my work visa? Or will I still be fined?

You should only have to pay the $600 peso fee for the work visa.

Okay, this thread has confused me more: Is the visa run to Colonia the best best?

And where do you catch the ferry from?

deeve007 said:
Okay, this thread has confused me more: Is the visa run to Colonia the best best?

And where do you catch the ferry from?

No, it is a waste of time and a way to jeopardy your self, regards

Hi all, let me be the latest to post the same question about 90 day tourist visa extensions. It seems that every time the scenario is just slightly different enough to warrant a fresh asking.

So, my 90 day tourist visa expires this Friday. I've been in BA since Sept. 2010 and have already exited and reentered 3 times, never overstaying my visa. I am planning on leaving Argentina for good in October, so I only need one more extension. My options are:

1: go to migraciones and ask for an extension
2: go to Colonia on Saturday, technically 91 days since last entering Argentina (May 15 was date of last entry)
3: overstay visa and pay fine when I leave.

My concern is that I'm going to start traveling around Argentina in October. If my tourist visa is expired I worry about hassles in the event of a traffic stop, check-point, etc. while in Salta, Jujuy, etc. On the other hand, it sounds like migraciones is the 10th level of hell and if you're going to have a problem it's going to be there. Worst case scenario would be that instead of granting me the extension they tell me I have 10 days to get out because of this 180 day rule.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back