90 day visa EXTENSION?

Every now and then - not very often, but it does happen (for me twice in seven years) - passport and visa will be checked when one crosses a province border. Thus in your situation it is a good idea to have a valid visa. If you didn't plan to travel around Argentina you might as well have overstayed.

Going to Colónia or Montevideo no later than the 90th day is a good option in your situation. Even though the stamp may say 3 months and not 90 days, it is actually 90 days - silly, but ...

As has been said many times, much depends on the person who checks your passport. 3 weeks ago I received my stamp no. 56, no hassle, others have been lectured about this and that with only a few stamps, but AFAIK no one has ever been refused after the Very Important Person (in his/her own mind) has finished babbling.

Migraciones is not so bad either, provided you don't need another visa-run. The problem with migraciones is if you then make a visa-run, you have to stay away until the day after your prórroga (extension) has expired. If questioned, tell them the date you are leaving for good.

John.St said:
Every now and then - not very often, but it does happen (for me twice in seven years) - passport and visa will be checked when one crosses a province border. Thus in your situation it is a good idea to have a valid visa. If you didn't plan to travel around Argentina you might as well have overstayed.

Going to Colónia or Montevideo no later than the 90th day is a good option in your situation. Even though the stamp may say 3 months and not 90 days, it is actually 90 days - silly, but ...

As has been said many times, much depends on the person who checks your passport. 3 weeks ago I received my stamp no. 56, no hassle, others have been lectured about this and that with only a few stamps, but AFAIK no one has never been refused after the Very Important Person (in his/her own mind) has finished babbling.

Migraciones is not so bad either, provided you don't need another visa-run. The problem with migraciones is if you then take a visa-run, you have to stay away until the day after your prórroga (extension) has expired. If questioned, tell them the date you are leaving for good.

Thanks, that's basically what I was thinking. Better to avoid any potential hassle out in the provinces and just keep it legal. Since this will be my last extension I won't have to worry about the conflict between then prórroga and visa runs to Uruguay.

I have just checked my passport. The only prórroga I have is stamp no. 21, no hassle, on the contrary. I was not only treated very politely but was also served a cup of coffee because I had to wait half an hour for someone to sign it, but everything depends on the person who handles the case.

John. St, thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, I ended up staying out later than I should have last night and this morning I couldn't be asked to haul myself down to Retiro for the prórroga. So my tourist visa will expire. Is it worth going to migraciones on Monday? Will they still give me a prórroga after an expired visa? Or am I better off now just taking my chances until I leave in October?

PastPerfect said:
Will they still give me a prórroga after an expired visa?
Not a chance - if your visa has expired, the only way to get an "extension" (i.e. a new visa) is to leave the country.

PastPerfect said:
Or am I better off now just taking my chances until I leave in October?
Your guess is as good as mine.

I would either visit Colónia/Montevideo and pay the 300 pesos fine, or with an invalid visa stay away from the Jujuy province.

One of the two times I (and everybody else plus all luggage, under seats, engine room, etc.) was checked was on the provincial border travelling from Jujuy to Salta and I was told the reason was because an (in)famous drug-smuggling route from Bolivia goes through Valle Humahuaca in the Jujuy province (problem is that the valley is very beautiful, well worth visiting).

If you go further north than Salta, you could cross over to Bolivia, pay the fine when leaving and get a new visa, or in Salta you may find foreigners coming from Jujuy who can tell if they have been checked and if none have, take your chance.

IFAIK (but not for certain!) the worst that may happen is that you pay the fine and are given 30 days to get things in order (see Bajo_cero2's post in this thread http://baexpats.org/expat-life/16459-90-day-visa-extension.html#post120591 ) - but as said, your guess is as good as mine, I have never travelled in Argentina w/o a valid visa.

NOLAchef said:
Hola gente-

I was told by my spanish teacher that I can apply for a "one time" 90 day visa extension as opposed to hopping over to Uruguay. She said the office is in Retiro close to Busque bus and that I wont need an appointment.

Do they issue this to everyone, or do I need some kind of "excuse" as to why i'm extending?

Who else has done this? If you could share your experiences I'd be super thankful!

Gracias

Liza aka NOLAchef

www.NOLAchef.wordpress.com

I hate to be the D´s advocate but the fine is 300 thereabouts when you leave, so if you´ve already been to Colonia...

Okay, so I read through this thread and think I understand the options. I am in the same situation, with my visa expiring this Monday the 24th. I have a ticket to return to the states on November 15th, but we are then returning November 29th to BsAs amd then back to the states July 2012.

What I need is the least expensive solution that won't cause problems for when we return at the end of November for another eight months during which we will likely do the permanent residency paperwork ( I am married to an Argentine). I am willing to trade some bureaucratic hell for a less expensive experience than traveling to Uruguay last minute. (I've done the Uruguay trip twice already.)

Suggestions?

My brother entered the country on August 25th and got a 90 day stamp BUT they wrote October 25th under it. Either they screwed up the month or didn't feel like giving him the full three months.

So to play it safe, he's going to get an extension at migraciones on Monday. How much are they charging US citizens these days? I haven't gone there for years. It used to be $100.

The cost of the extension is $300 pesos, but so is the overstay fee which he can easily pay just prior to departure....without the hassle of going to migraciones.

Perhaps he could ask migraciones to make a "correction" and add 30 days o his visa without charge.

I've never heard of it being done, but if money is an issue I'd certainly ask.

If money isn't an issue he doesn't have to play it "safe" by getting an extension.

Overstaying a tourist visa is not a crime.

Jcyordenana said:
Okay, so I read through this thread and think I understand the options. I am in the same situation, with my visa expiring this Monday the 24th. I have a ticket to return to the states on November 15th, but we are then returning November 29th to BsAs amd then back to the states July 2012.

What I need is the least expensive solution that won't cause problems for when we return at the end of November for another eight months during which we will likely do the permanent residency paperwork ( I am married to an Argentine). I am willing to trade some bureaucratic hell for a less expensive experience than traveling to Uruguay last minute. (I've done the Uruguay trip twice already.)

Suggestions?

Don't worry. Pay the fee when you leave. Going to Uruguay is...and may have always been...pointless...as well as a huge waste of time. Overstaying your visa is not a crime. You would not be denied reentry even if you weren't married to an Argentine.

A friend of mine recently returned to the US after his visa expired. He paid the fee and returned to Argentina few weeks later with no problem.

I suggest you follow through and apply for your permanent residency as soon as possible after you return.

Back