A baby passport question.

glasgowjohn

Registered
My 6th month old son has an Argentine DNI and British passport.

Later this month his mum and I and baby are travelling to the USA.

I was planning to use the Visa Waiver system for migration into USA.

No problems it would seem.

But today a friend mentioned that Argentine migration may give me problems as his passport has no entry stamp. And for even more hassle , he said that they may even insist on an ARGENTINE PASSPORT.

Obviously at this late stage, this would be a pain in the proverbial a******le

Does anyone have experience of talking new born babies out of Ezeiza with non -Argentine passports and no entry stamps?

He has to enter and exit on his Argentine passport. You need to have his birth certificate with you too.

This is from the US embassy webpage but spells it out

"All births in Argentina must be recorded with the Argentine civil registry officials, and under Argentine law, all Argentines must travel with an Argentine passport." http://argentina.usembassy.gov/traveling_with_children.html

If in doubt, contact the British embassy here http://ukinargentina.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/our-embassy/contact-us

hi john, I have been through a similar saga with my kids and their differing documents on various travels, and you should also look into the entry situation in the USA. First, you must take your wedding certificate to EZE as proof that you are the legal guardians, don't ever forget that or you'll miss the plane. THAT IS THE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRINTING YOUR FLIGHT ITINERARY BELIEVE ME. If I were you I would go to the microcentro and apply for your son's ARG passport, it can be quite quick, even given your limited timeframe. The best SP for dual national children coming and going from Arg is that they leave on their Arg Passport *stamping out*, then they arrive in the destination on the other passport *in stamp, and out on leaving), and vice versa. That works for me, and it works for friends who have the same situation in other countries. Obviously you need to take the DNI as well. It is NOT a question of an entry stamp as your friend indicates, since your son was born here. In other words exit and re/entry would be with marital certificate, DNI's and childs Arg passport. Entry-departure to USA with UK passport thus avoiding visa requirement.

hope this helps

Use the Argentine passport to get out of argentina. And use the british one to enter the US. A friend went to spain and her children have both nationalities the spanish and the argentine, at the airport she only had the spanish passports as she thought it was all she needed. Thankfully she was at the airport more than 3 hours before their flight and had time to send someone to her house for the argentine passports. Her children needed to prove they were legal in the country.

As he was born inArgentina, he MUST leave the country on his argentine passport. After that, he could enter the states on either the Argentine or the UK passport, it doesn't matter since he doesn't have US citizenship.

You need to have the birth certificate with you or forget getting on the plane -- it's the only document that lists both parents names on it. As far as the marriage certificate I don't remember being asked for it but I know we had it with us.

The passport came quickly for us even without a rush put on it, but you can now get one out in 24 or 48 hrs for 500 pesos I believe anyway.

>>> You need to have the birth certificate with you or forget getting on the plane -- it's the only document that lists both parents names on it. As far as the marriage certificate I don't remember being asked for it but I know we had it with us.

In Argentina, your childrens details are entered in your marriage book (it's a red book), meaning that you wouldn't have to travel with other important pieces of paper like birth certificates. If you were married outside of Arg, I don't know the score.

All this info is very useful as we plan on traveling to the US later this year with our toddler ( he still doesn´t have neither Argentine or US passport... errr we just started sleeping through the nite! )

nikad said:
All this info is very useful as we plan on traveling to the US later this year with our toddler ( he still doesn´t have neither Argentine or US passport... errr we just started sleeping through the nite! )

I will let you know how we get on but it looks like you will need the Argentine one to leave and the US one to arrive , unless you want to get the baby a Visa!

Many thanks to all for the really useful advice
Looks like you have saved us a load of hassle at Ezeiza , although we will have to run to Pasaporte Express at Alto Palermo over the weekend.

Markgeezer said:
In Argentina, your childrens details are entered in your marriage book (it's a red book), meaning that you wouldn't have to travel with other important pieces of paper like birth certificates. If you were married outside of Arg, I don't know the score.

Do you have experience with this? (I wasn't married here so doesn't apply to me, but will to others). When we booked our tickets they told us that the birth certificate was a must. (the crappy little piece of paper you get at the hospital that looks like it isn't worth anthing at all but turns out to be The. Most. Important. Document. Ever. LOL)

Back