A baby passport question.

glasgowjohn said:
I will let you know how we get on but it looks like you will need the Argentine one to leave and the US one to arrive , unless you want to get the baby a Visa!
Thanks! I think both passports and marriage book is the easiest way to go, do post on how everything went if you can though please :D

I went through this passport hell in February 2011. At the time none of the express passport centres would deal with babies' passports or DNI's. The reason is that their machines can't take baby fingerprints. ALL babies' passports had to be done at Paseo Colon, there was a several week waiting list for an appointment. Anyone going to an express place, please update as last year we were turned away...

Finally got sorted
Just for the record a baby born in Argentina must leave the country with an Argentine passport. In our case my wife is Argentine – I don’t know what happens if both parents are non-Argentine , but I suspect the Argentine system views all babies as Argentine nationals.
My son now has his Argentine Passport
We used the PASAPORTE EXPRESS service available at passport offices and the Centros de Documentacion Rapida , which are expanding to the suburbs.
Delivery to your home is guaranteed in 48 hours – we received ours in 23 hours. Good to see some things are working well here !!
The Express service costs 500 pesos in addition to the 130 pesos passport fee
They also have the service at the DNI- PASSPORT booths in some shopping centres – that will cost an extra 100 peso fee.
We used the CDR in Rivadavia and Segurola in Flores
When the system first started young kids and babies has to go to the Central place in Paseo Colon , but all the centres now have the right equipment to scan fingerprints and take photos.
You may be asked / forced to get the new DNI as well for your baby. That is 25 pesos more and they send it to your home in 15 days.

My kids are Argentine, my Argentine husband and I were married overseas but never registered the marriage here. When we travel overseas we have to take the originals of the kids' birth certs (which we´ve laminated so they don´t fall apart so quickly!) and our passports. IMPORTANT NOTE: You need to take the passport that is listed on the birth cert! If your passports are like NZ ones and change numbers every time they are renewed, you will need to take the old passport that is on the birth cert. Thanks to my 'just in case' throwing it in the document pile on our way out the door we were able to travel overseas as planned!

Thanks A for that - UK passports change numbers every time you get a new one as well - luckily my current one is the one that is one the birth certificate. Looks like the current one will be with for another 17and a half years.....

Back