A belated topic that would have been better on ANZAC DAY...

Amusing really :) Defining illegal in terms of immigration is pretty easy in the Australian context - you have the average Brit or European who goes through official channels and often waits years to get all the legit paperwork done and then moves to Australia and then you have the other sort who turn up on boats run by the people smugglers and land in Australia ILLEGALLY - based on the definition that under Australian law what they are doing IS illegal. I would have thought that this was pretty much a ''no brainer''...

As to whether white European settlement of Australia back in 1788 occurred in a ''bad'' way, a ''good'' way or somewhere in-between - I guess my original point still stands - we can't do much about what happened 200 years ago but we sure as hell CAN do something about the queue jumping law breaking individuals who make a make a mockery of Australia and its people and land on our shores uninvited, without authorization or permission, without the usual legitimate immigration processes, criminal and health checks and so on - posing very real security threats, health and quarantine threats and various other problems...

On top of all this there is the COST involved - these criminals cost us MILLIONS and that is money that will no longer go to the people who are ENTITLED to it...

I see my own mother who is now 80 struggling to pay for medicines - and she (like my father who is now deceased) WORKED in Australia for over 50 years and CONTRIBUTED to the economy and PAID TAXES - she struggles (like MANY old age pensioners in Australia do nowadays) to make ends meet while ''OUR'' government hands out MILLIONS in foreign aid to other countries and MILLIONS to illegal immigrants who probably laugh all the way to the bank...

A good friend of mine is a doctor and whilst the controlled media reports very little of what is going on - the real problems and issues that come from uncontrolled illegal immigration - I've had a few chats with him (he does a lot of international volunteer work) and he went through the list with me of diseases/conditions that have started reappearing in Australia over the last few years - in some cases diseases we had thought were eradicated 70 or 80 years ago - and the most recent cases in Australia of ''Australians'' (people of islamic background who now have Australian passports) who have been caught ''just in time'' by ASIO/other security services in the planning/preparation stage of terrorist attacks on Australian soil have been documented/publicized...

As for the ''new under class'' - now THERE is a joke - these individuals get to Australia, don't work, live off unemployment benefits and child support which WE (i.e. the taxpayers) pay for - and in their spare time (which they have plenty of) start planning their first terrorist attacks against us ''infidels''...

NATURALLY - when you are PERMANENTLY on unemployment benefits you DON'T pay taxes, you get EVERYTHING subsidized and in NO WAY do you contribute to the Australian economy...

The MOST recently publicized case of a major islamic terror attack that was well advanced in terms of planning/preparation was ''master minded'' if (I can use the term for an individual like this) by an islamic terrorist with an Australian passport who had been in Australia for 19 years, NEVER worked a day in this time, remained on UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS the whole time and received child support and every other type of welfare payment he could get his hands on - talking about ''biting the hand that feeds you''...

Re: The illegal immigrants: MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars are spent to give them 5 star accommodation, free meals and medical treatment, internet, free phone calls home, the works - they riot and burn down the facilities and yet again, the taxpayer pays for it...

When they do succeed in getting citizenship they are given every form of financial aid imaginable - and every advantage that real Australians are NEVER given...

Try applying for a job in Australia nowadays (unless you have highly specialized skills) if you are a member of the REAL new under class (i.e. being a white Caucasian male) and see how well you go when every government department has now got its quota system and ''positive discrimination'' and has to employ on the basis of ethnicity/gender/other criteria rather than on the basis of merit (not that they will ever publicly admit it :) lol

Its obvious you've never lived in Australia - or if you have, it must have been a very different part of the country to where I lived :)

BTW - I'm not ''enraged'' at the use of the term ''illegal wars'' - I actually used it myself when quoting the OP earlier in this thread - my position on war was made crystal clear - if someone is attacking you or is about to you go to war - other than that you keep out of other people's affairs and don't go rushing off to places like Iraq or Afghanistan which posed no direct military threat to Australia...

Just a few thoughts from someone who lived in Australia for most of his life and actually KNOWS what he is talking about ;)

Johnno I'm very happy I don't know you personally. You're obviously a racist with a strong anti-Islamic sentiment. How many times just in this thread, though in other threads as well, have you come out with anti-islamic tirades. It's disgusting and obviously a sign of poor education. Racism and ignorance tend to go hand in hand.

With your nickname etc you do yourself no favours, I have an absolute vision of you as a typical redneck racist Australian c#$t. I will ignore your posts from now on and hope to never meet you in person.

Syngirl - the pleasure is mutual :) Terribly sorry that my weltanschaaung/world view doesn't coincide with yours - actually - no - I'm lying - I'm quite happy that my world view is different - and as shocking as it might be for you to have to deal with the fact, in most democratic nations (but NOT islamic ones BTW) freedom of speech and expression is pretty much enshrined in the constitution/bill of rights/whatever it might be...

So yes - happy to cooperate in mutual ignorance there (no pun intended) have a great day - and we say in Australia (typical ''redneck'' expression, ''calling me a 'c#$t' isn't an insult because a 'c#$t' is actually something useful...:)

syngirl said:
Johnno I'm very happy I don't know you personally. You're obviously a racist with a strong anti-Islamic sentiment. How many times just in this thread, though in other threads as well, have you come out with anti-islamic tirades. It's disgusting and obviously a sign of poor education. Racism and ignorance tend to go hand in hand.

With your nickname etc you do yourself no favours, I have an absolute vision of you as a typical redneck racist Australian c#$t. I will ignore your posts from now on and hope to never meet you in person.

While Johnno might be a little less tactful than others, I don't totally disagree with him. In the US illegal immigration...and yes, it is ILLEGAL (they are BREAKING the LAW) is a massive concern. I'm not sure about the exact numbers in Australia, nor do I think the exact numbers matter, but in the US it's in the Millions.

The US taxpayer is forced to pay for their health care and services while they pay no taxes and again, are in the country ILLEGALLY.

On the flipside, our Armed Forces are also paid shit, pay taxes as well, and sacrifice their lives to protect the citizens AND illegals alike...hardly seems fair to me.

Many of the European countries are experiencing the same influx of Islamic immigrants (legal and illegal) and clearly it is causing real issues, thought I believe it's due to the fact that the Muslims are not comfortable or invited to adapt to the Western ways. However, they don't make it easier on themselves by trying to demand Sharia law be made an alternate form of rules. Of course, the terrorism doesn't help either.

I had the privilege of living in Singapore, a country with CRAZY strict immigration laws HOWEVER, they make it quite easy to come into the country, get a job legally, and live alongside many different faiths and nationalities.

I think all countries would benefit from Singapore's model on taxes and immigration. While the Govt (like all) is corrupt and almost a military dictatorship, and they have CRAZY rules against drugs, they do have a thriving economy, zero insecurity, and while living there I experience holiday celebrations from all different religions, it was great.

Your experience of Singapore was obviously similar to mine Jared - the first time I went there I noticed the difference - you walked down the street - any street - at any time of the day or night and actually felt SAFE - it hasn't been like that in Australia for a long time now...

Immigration has always been a hot button issue, usually the existing population (who came from immigrants as well) resent the newcomers. Check out what Ben Franklin, one of the founders of the USA said about Germans a couple of hundred years ago.

http://www.dialoginternational.com/dialog_international/2008/02/ben-franklin-on.htm

So these kind of arguments have been around forever. What I don't get in this argument is what's unique about Australia? Why is this apparently such a big issue. If I look at the numbers for immigration to the country in the fiscal year ending June 2009 about 150,000 showed up. Out of these about half were from Europe and other commonwealth countries, I assume these people all immigrated legally and are not the perceived problem being discussed . It doesn't seem that many to justify alarm or appear as a threat to existing Australian culture, or I am missing something. Canada allows about 250,000 immigrants a year and I don't hear the same kind of arguments.
I will have to admit I find the arguments to this point sounding a bit xenophobic.

Hey Johnno, I didn't know you could stream Today Tonight here, please send the link...

There's no doubt about it - reading this thread is WAY more fun than sitting here waiting for my customers in Australia to call me :) lol I think it might be time to crack open another fine bottle of the local red, knock off some more of the rather yummy picada my other half has made and start thinking about another couch siesta while I wait for the pasta main course:) Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it :) Argentina rocks :)

Hey Pauper - yes I think you can - give me a few minutes and assuming another customer doesn't call in the meantime I'll post it here shortly :)

Johnno said:
Its obvious you've never lived in Australia - or if you have, it must have been a very different part of the country to where I lived :)

If you are referring to me; No, I haven't even been there. But I doubt it's so different from how it is in my country.

Johnno said:
BTW - I'm not ''enraged'' at the use of the term ''illegal wars''

That wasn't directed at you, but at Ghost.

igor said:
And when real americans can only afford a shitty HMO plan through their employer, so that when they need a doctor, they have to wait for a month for an appointment, that's because american hospitals are too busy providing excelling health care to illegal immigrants.

Do you seriously claim that an illegal immigrant gets better care than an American worker? That's absurd. If that was true then what's to stop American workers to pretend they are illegal?
And isn't 'real Americans' actually native Americans?

Back