A few questions

Wow, thanks for the great advice, everyone! I will definitely try to find an Argentine to speak with, HeyBA.

PennStateForever said:
Thanks for the reply, TheBigDaddy. I took University Spanish I last semester. This semester I am taking Spanish II and next semester, I will be taking Spanish III. My instructor says that after Spanish III, I will have enough of a base to get by in a total immersion situation. The only thing is I will have to keep it fresh because it will be more than a year after I am done taking Spanish when I finally make it to BA.
Try to read in Spanish in order to maintain knowledge and increase vocabulary

PennStateForever said:
it will be more than a year after I am done taking Spanish when I finally make it to BA.
In that case, PennStateForever, ignore all talk of costs, employment, security....

In fact, all your original questions are premature. This is Argentina, and things change fast here. By the time you arrive, we could have inflation tamed, full employment, and a 7-peso dollar. Or we could be in a catastrophic situation with 40% unemployment, empty shelves in the stores that remain open, and robbery being the only way for many people to get by. You never know here.

For now, just work on your language skills so you're ready, and then re-post your questions about 6 months before you come, when you'll get more reliable info.

jimdepalermo said:
In that case, PennStateForever, ignore all talk of costs, employment, security....

In fact, all your original questions are premature. This is Argentina, and things change fast here. By the time you arrive, we could have inflation tamed, full employment, and a 7-peso dollar. Or we could be in a catastrophic situation with 40% unemployment, empty shelves in the stores that remain open, and robbery being the only way for many people to get by. You never know here.

For now, just work on your language skills so you're ready, and then re-post your questions about 6 months before you come, when you'll get more reliable info.
Yes, I would agree that the situation is likely to be somewhere between Shangri-La and Mad Max. The only thing certain is that it will be different.

Back