Coming to BA Soon... A few questions

Bryan7007

Registered
Hi,

I found this website very helpful, but I still have a few questions. I will be coming to study in Buenos Aires just for the fall semester and need the wisdom of expats like yourself!

As I am an American student, I will not have a DNI.

Will I be able to get a Sube or Monedero Card? Also, where can this be done and what is the difference between the two cards?

I would also like to purchase a blackberry or some sort of smart phone just for my semester there. My guess is that I will not be able to sign a contract for a short time, especially with out a DNI. Does anyone know of a cell phone company that would sell pay as you go phones?

Finally, is the whole coin hoarding thing as bad as people say it is? I just hope I will have bus fare!

Any and all advice BA is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Bryan

I am not fimilar with a BlackBerry but for a iphone a freed iphone can carry any pre-paid chips from any company. Just don't use 3G and stuff like that

Those cards are the same and everywhere available

dont worry.

every phone company sells prepaid service. you can buy almost any phone, new or used, and then go into a corner store and buy 50 pesos worth of minutes for it.

as for the subte/mondero cards, again, anybody can buy em anywhere, and recharge them.

the coin shortages come and go, but they are never THAT bad, and more and more collectivos (buses) are taking the cards all the time.

basically, sometimes, somethings, may be a bit more hassle than you are used to, but all of these systems work, and everybody knows how to do it, so once you are here, its easy enough to figure out the local eccentricities.

Everyone here takes the subte and the collectivos, and they do it while talking on their phones, and you can too!

Bryan7007 said:
Will I be able to get a Sube or Monedero Card? Also, where can this be done and what is the difference between the two cards?

Not really any difference as far as the buses and subway go.

I would also like to purchase a blackberry or some sort of smart phone just for my semester there. My guess is that I will not be able to sign a contract for a short time, especially with out a DNI. Does anyone know of a cell phone company that would sell pay as you go phones?

All three cell companies here offer pay as you go plans

Finally, is the whole coin hoarding thing as bad as people say it is? I just hope I will have bus fare!

No. It was, its pretty much fine now.

Any and all advice BA is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Bryan

The lack of monedas is a nuisance, but you won't end up stranded or anything. If you need change on the fly, just buy something for a peso at a nearby chino (I've amassed a wad of spare coins because I'm addicted to the little Marroc candies that are sold everywhere for $1.50.) Of course, by purchasing a Sube card, you'll save yourself a LOT of that hassle, so it's totally worth having.

Everyone here takes the subte and the collectivos, and they do it while talking on their phones, and you can too!

Um... you probably shouldn't do this. I, like almost anyone, can name at least 5 acquaintances (the majority foreigners) whose phones were stolen while on the bus or subway. Buying a Blackberry is fine, just not flashing it around certain areas.

I never use my phone on the subte/bus, besides for the noise it's because I don't want to flash around my iphone 3

Just buy a newspaper/magazine or listen to music

My Gracias is way over due, but thank you for responding. I have decided that I really don't need a smart phone, I am just going to get the cheapest prepago I can find. Does anyone have a preference of service? I have heard good things about Movistar, but y'all are the experts!

I am arriving this Monday, and getting very excited!

Back