A Fond And Sad Farewell

jackbrooker

Registered
They say all good things must come to an end. I guess it's true no matter how cliche it may sound.
It's with an overwhelming sadness that I inform you that Friday, November 21, 2014 will be the last day BIG APPLE will open its doors.

For the past year we have fought to maintain a special place for folks both local and ex pat as well as tourists to experience , to enjoy, to hang out, and to feel a touch of NYC, and ¨home¨ in BA. Don't get me wrong, we've had some limited success and we've established ourselves within the top 7% of rated restaurants in BA in Trip Advisor, but trying to maintain our value added product, service, theme, and culture without losing our conscience that in these hard financial times must be shared between consumer and supplier is nearly impossible.

Rather than raise prices to the inflated levels others do, and that we would need to, or to lessen our quality and services, it was decided to make a dignified exit.

To those of you who loyally supported us as an ex pat business or just a damn good place to eat and have some fun, THANKS! Please know it's appreciated.

For those of you who know this old man, you know that Big Apple was a passion for me. From meeting and knowing you guys, to the kids who come daily and illuminate the place, or to the joy of just hanging out with other ex pats, please know that you really enhanced my life and existence during otherwise trying times.

To all of you, I wish you the best of the best and "Mazel Tov" in every aspect of life and I do hope our paths cross again and also that, as before in years gone by, we can find a place that's our ex pat "hang out".

To all of you, and yours, a happy, healthy, prosperous, and loving Thanksgiving. I know I am grateful and thankful for the great times I had with BIG APPLE and all of you!

In the meantime, anybody got a job available? :)

Abrazos de oso a todos!

Jack

Open here in La Lucila, on Libertador. Throw The Embers out of the market with your delicious burgers! I am SERIOUS about this.
Your place was great, you're good at this, there IS still the right crowd which can pay the right price for quality stuff. GO NORTH!

Or at least pass me your meatballs recipe, they were heavenly! ;)

Serafina/Paola - happy guest

Open here in La Lucila, on Libertador. Throw The Embers out of the market with your delicious burgers! I am SERIOUS about this.
Your place was great, you're good at this, there IS still the right crowd which can pay the right price for quality stuff. GO NORTH!

Or at least pass me your meatballs recipe, they were heavenly! ;)

Serafina/Paola - happy guest
You are amazing, Paola! Thank you so much for cheering me up! You and those who know me know what a passion BIG is/was for me. I´ll ask Sam for his recipe for the meatballs and pass it on to you!

Sorry to hear that. Even under the best of circumstances restaurants are a notoriously tough business.

I was wanting to ask if you thought Puerta Cerradas were unfair competition for legit dining establishments? And... if you can't beat them, why not join them? I'd love to be able to eat traditional fare on Thanksgiving and Xmas at a American-owned puerta cerrada !

My heart-felt sympathies go out to you. I can only imagine how this must feel.

And I feel a little bad, personally - I've been recommended your place many times recently and I have never made it in to try it out. Always thinking "next time" when the family was insisting we go to one of their favorite restaurants. I feel bad that I never made the opportunity to support your establishment and never had the opportunity to try your delicious food.

Sorry to hear that. Even under the best of circumstances restaurants are a notoriously tough business.

I was wanting to ask if you thought Puerta Cerradas were unfair competition for legit dining establishments? And... if you can't beat them, why not join them? I'd love to be able to eat traditional fare on Thanksgiving and Xmas at a American-owned puerta cerrada !
At this point as long as what anyone is doing to make a legit living, and it´s not illegal or hurting anyone, I have no problem with it. Our problem is/was that we have the best and worst location in the city. We´re slammed 08 to 15:30 and then Tribunales turns into a ghost town. Thanks for your comments and if you find that place for Thanksgiving and, or Chanukah/Christmas dinner, please let me know!

Back