A good local foodie website.

Why not try the Mexican, Lebanese, Thai, Armenian, Indian , German, Italian Spanish and Greek restos for starters..?

Yes, I need variety. Can't eat Italian and steak all the time. So that's why I want to make my list:)

Sure, here are some of my favourites. Buen provecho!

Proper

Nola

La Mar

Ulúa

La Fuerza

I Latina ($$$)

The first 3 sounds great. Really missing New Orleans food now. Will hit it tomorrow. :)

The issue in Argentina is that 90% of the restaurants serve the same food. In BA you're lucky because there are a few options but once you get out of the big city it's beef/pasta/pizza/hamburgers/papas at every place.

How do all these places exist with the same choices??? I can make a plain piece of meat at home better than these guys can, so what's the point of going out?

I went to a night market here in Neuquen and they featured about 8 different food trucks. SWEET. I love food trucks... I am excite.... I go poking around and the menu was exactly the same at each truck. Choripan/hamburger/papas fritas. How does one entice guests to choose their food truck over the others if all offer the exact same thing? I don't really understand how they stay in business... are they all owned by the same company? If so what is the benefit of putting 8 trucks with the same menu in that area?

After a year in AR I've pretty much stopped eating out because I'm tired of the same ol thing and taking at least 2 hours to have a meal. I appreciate it when some innovative Argentine tries to go out of the box and offer something different. We now have a burger place here that features counter ordering and a "buzzer" for when the food is ready for pickup (think fast casual restaurant in the states)... the reviews of the place from the locals are terrible saying the service sucks and no one was nice to them when they entered or they have to wait in line when they ordered (which I know is BS because we all know nothing makes an Argentine happier than waiting in a line). This place truly has the best burger in town, you can eat fairly quickly if you go early, it doesn't cost much and the food is decent. AND THEY HAVE WHOLE BOTTLES OF KETCHUP AND MUSTARD ON THE TABLE SO YOU DON"T HAVE TO DICK WITH PACKETS OR ASK YOUR WAITER/MASTER FOR TWO MORE PACKETS OF KETCHUP PLEASE.
lol.. i felt your pain brother. the problem is Neuquén unfortunately, it's generally a food wasteland. BA has a lot more variety (although it's still subpar compared to the states)

ally just dropped a big update at pickup the fork, covering 20 or 30 restaurants that have opened in the last year.
Bloody. Only 2 possibly decent Asian restaurants on the list. I'm starting to sense BA is a bit isolated from the rest of the world.

Any good seafood restaurants out there? Getting a bit discouraged. NOLA didn't have any catfish or crayfish. Most salmon around here comes from Chilean salmon farms swimming in tons of chemicals and poop. Sushi shops just put all sorts of junk into their rolls. Any halibut steaks, crab shacks, shrimp peels, poke bowls, fried catfish, sushi and sashimi with real fresh fish (and proper sushi rice)???

lol.. i felt your pain brother. the problem is Neuquén unfortunately, it's generally a food wasteland. BA has a lot more variety (although it's still subpar compared to the states)
I recalled saying to my wife when we first came here that there seems to be a whole lot of Italian restaurants here and not many others. She said that she can eat Italian food every day. After 2 months, she's regretting it. LOL.

Any good seafood restaurants out there? Getting a bit discouraged. NOLA didn't have any catfish or crayfish. Most salmon around here comes from Chilean salmon farms swimming in tons of chemicals and poop. Sushi shops just put all sorts of junk into their rolls. Any halibut steaks, crab shacks, shrimp peels, poke bowls, fried catfish, sushi and sashimi with real fresh fish (and proper sushi rice)???
Crizia has a good seafood selection. Also, if you go to some of the upscale restos like Roux, Oviedo, Aramburu Bis you'll find good seafood specials depending on the season. You're out of luck for crab and fried catfish though. There was Club M Omakase that was doing good sushi but I haven't heard much about them lately so not sure they exist or that the quality is still decent. Crab is nearly impossible to find but they have incredible Centolla crab down south in Ushuaia. I had a decent fish dish at Apu Nena last night and I think they had two other seafood options. It's not that things don't exist here, it's just that you have to find them. I've had a lot of meals featuring huge langostinos and they've been divine.

never seen catfish (fried or otherwise) anywhere in BA.

i found a couple places selling "poke bowls" but they were garbage. one of them came with balls of that same nasty cream cheese they put in all the sushi.

Bloody. Only 2 possibly decent Asian restaurants on the list. I'm starting to sense BA is a bit isolated from the rest of the world.
Actually there were quite a few asian restaurants on that list:
FaSongSong,
Tintoreria Yafuso
Apu Nena
Mian
Namu
Omakase
Mr. Ho
Neko Sushi
Zuti
Tora
and those are only the ones that opened last year.
I have eaten at a few of them, as well as a good half dozen other asian restaurants here. Cancion de Korea, Tori Tori, Bao Kitchen are all good- but opened before 2019.

It is true, however, that there are very few asian immigrants here compared to Canada or Brazil or the USA or Australia, and, also- Argentines wont eat spicy food or unfamiliar food very much- and you cant run a restaurant just depending on tourists. So most of the more authentic asian food just doesnt go over very well here.

The best thing to do is eat local. Expecting to find authentic cuisine from elsewhere is very hit or miss, but more and more argentine chefs are doing really creative things- Proper, Gran Dabang, Sampa, Narda, Julia, to name just a few.

Back