A hidden treasure - BODEGA AMPARO

Utopos

Registered
If you ARE A REASONABLE PERSON [edited for those like Andrewchase] and have ANY interest in food, spices, the freshest fruits & vegetables, cheese & sausage etc, or wines & liquors, Bodega Amparo is a hidden treasure! The less than stellar location is incredibly unlike the wonders awaiting inside. Go... go now!

Just look at their website, then hit the ATM on you way there.

http://bodegaamparo.com.ar/

I used to frequent the Villa Urquiza location on Combatientes de Malvinas y Mendoza when I used to live close to there. They have the BEST fiambrería and quesos I have seen as of yet in Buenos Aires, and, the prices are reasonable, always things on special, many gourmet products, tons of different olives and olive oil. I also recommend this store.

I have been shopping there (the Palermo location) for years. I go there 2-3 times a week. Fantastic selection of foods, spices and condiments from all over the world, and the prices for many things are better than in Barrio Chino. Best of all, their huge selection of wines and champagnes with case discounts (case = 6 bottles!) from 20-40 percent. You can't do better than that.

But now my little secret is outed....

I go to the Palermo store once a week and love it! Apart from the great fiambreria, they also have really good service with friendly cheesemongers, a guy who asks you if you want to try a glass of wine as soon as you walk in, and cashiers who double-check the expiry date of your bread before they ring it.
The Palermo location also has a big verduleria attached to it. Not sure if it's run by the same people, but they have very good fruit, cheaper than the supermarket.

I travelled yesterday based on the raves on this thread. It was nothing special. I left without buying anything. I could buy most things for less at my local Chinese supermarket. I wouldn't go out of my way for this place. I then walked around Palermo Viejo. 2 or 3 blocks away from the tiny tourist bubble and its broken sidewalks, graffiti, so much graffiti, bums and litter. I can stay in my neighborhood to see that and not pay 55 pesos for a small salad. This is now an expensive city. Im floored by the prices. Yet the rusted wrecks on the road with tailpipes pointed at the sidewalk engulfing us in fumes doesnt change, the litter is always there, the rude customer service is always there. Just the prices have been changed.

Back