A Honky Like Me.

An interesting sequel to he above has appeared in today's (Nov.24) NYTimes in the Opinion- Page Room for Debate Section
A Havard prof in favor and a Yale prof against
Could it be that too much "identity politics" went against Hillary and the Democrats? Hmm?

The red/blue maps are very misleading because there are many reds living in the blue areas and many blues living in the red areas.

T/

no, I meant "urban areas".

80% of the US population lives in or close to cities.
60% lives actually IN cities.

20% of the US population lives in rural areas.

So- yes, I do believe that the 80% of the population, regardless of where they live, should, as a majority, be able to elect presidents.

Why, exactly, should you have disproportionate power over elections, because you are a tiny minority that lives in Bumfuck?

(incidentally, I live on a 30 acre farm and the nearest town has a population of 130, when I am in the USA, for 9 months of every year. The other 3 months, I live in Barrio Norte)

I wouldn't say that 3 electoral votes here and 4 there are having a disproportional power. 55 here and 29 there is the proportional power. I wish people would just accept the fact that she lost, and the almost 200 year old system that the country uses, and stop crying because this time it didn't go their way.

I wouldn't say that 3 electoral votes here and 4 there are having a disproportional power. 55 here and 29 there is the proportional power. I wish people would just accept the fact that she lost, and the almost 200 year old system that the country uses, and stop crying because this time it didn't go their way.
200 hunderd years old does not make the system right for the times.There comes a time when any system reaches it's terminal usefulness and begins to fail. When that happens [as it has] then it's time to change the system. Twice in recent times the E College has gaged on the scope of the project and coughed up a turd. The E college is a vestigial organ and needs to surgically removed.

Thorsten,
That has no coalition to the topic, to me anyway. Try proportional representation found in "for other uses see proportionality", the first sentence of your Wikipedia link.

Xmaspast,
If it's not broke, don't fix it. It just didn't work in your favor.(this time) It could have very easily gone the other way and many of those bitching now would be all for the 200 year old system. By the way, it didn't fail, it prevailed.

It could have very easily gone the other way and many of those bitching now would be all for the 200 year old system. By the way, it didn't fail, it prevailed.

Very well put.

Seriously, if Trump had won the popular vote but Hillary had taken the win, would the same people on this forum be yelling "it's broken - we have to fix it!"

I'll put $100 (USD) on NO!

Very well put.

Seriously, if Trump had won the popular vote but Hillary had taken the win, would the same people on this forum be yelling "it's broken - we have to fix it!"

I'll put $100 (USD) on NO!

I'd google for criticism of the electoral system-based voting from 2012 before putting money on it - you'll find a lot of the same arguments that are brought up now and it was way before Trump... In fact, in a 2011 poll the majority of Americans preferred a system using popular vote - overall and also for each group Democrats/Republicans/Independents.

EJLarson.....[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Seriously, if Trump had won the popular vote but Hillary had taken the win, would the same people on this forum be yelling [/background]"it's broken - we have to fix it!"

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I'll put $100 (USD) on [/background]NO![background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

I, for one, stand by my statement posted on 19 Nov.....

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I voted for Hillary, but certainly not because I believe she was the most capable candidate. In my opinion, both are not fit to hold the office. But one more so than the other. Trump won and will rightfully occupy the Oval Office[/background] for[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]4 years.

Back