A lot of advice needed

Thanks for the feedback. That's great information to have, especially about the monthly fair. Sad that the fruits won't be equal to Bulgarian but sounds like we won't starve.

Thanks for the vote of confidence UK Man. And thanks for the link, another. Definitely one for me to follow on facebook.

You come across as having a great attitude towards life. Armed with that I'm certain you'll have a great time here.

Agreed! I appreciate the positive vibe of this new member and I hope to hear more from him when he gets offered the job and decides to accept it. And I also appreciate that all the BAExpats members stayed on topic and were very helpful with specific questions!

I'm not a him! I'm a her. My poor husband is just the one who gets dragged along with my crazy lifestyle :). (in seriousness of course we make choices together but he works from home, I'm the one who gets the job in the country so we can live there).

I'd actually come back in to let you all know that yesterday I was officially offered the job and I've just emailed back saying I accept it. Next will be formal contract etc but once I've said that I'm accepting the job I'm bound by that so it's official - we're heading to Argentina.

Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread. I echo mmoon's comment above. I really appreciate all of the helpful responses whether or not you thought taking the job was a good idea. I know there are some people out there who think I'm crazy for taking this option and I can see why, but we've decided to embrace the adventure. Argentina sounds like a fascinating country and I'm sure there's going to be a tonne of positives to getting to live there for a few years. Of course there will also be negatives as well but every country has those. Maybe some of the challenges we face in Argentina will be more difficult than those in other locations but we really are fortunate to have the opportunity to experience countries like we do. And some parts will be sure to be easier. You should have seen this poor girl from the tropics having to dig her car out of snow at -15 degrees in the pitch dark of a Bulgarian morning... at least I won't have to deal with that in Argentina!

And while Quilmes is definitely not a huge drawcard I am excited about learning to enjoy somewhere that's not perhaps as easy as it would be in the centre of BAs.

So thanks again everyone. I'm sure I'll be on other threads asking more questions!

Kaminoge, I haven't written anything on this forum for years but occasionally browse it. I wanted to congratulate you on your move. I'm a Londoner but moved here 10 years ago and would still say that Buenos Aires is the best city in the world to live in, in that it is impossible to get bored as there is such a broad range of cultural activities and most of them are free. I am married to a "Quilmeña" (woman from Quiles) and while I wouldn't want to live there (I'm a big city person) it is not that bad, though there are more issues with security than in the city. However, you will not have trouble buying good vegetables etc! It is not third world.

I thought it worth pointing out that a lot of the teachers at St Georges are good fun (I play poker occasionally with a couple of the maths teachers) and that the parents of your pupils are quite integrated with the teachers and you will be invited to a lot of events and parties. My personal recommendation (unless you drink a lot) would to buy an old car, so you can make it rapidly into the city. For instance, the magnificent Usina del Arte in La Boca is about 25 minutes away driving and has a huge variety of music, all free. http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/usinadelarte/agenda

With regards to some of the other scary comments, inflation is a problem but is likely to go down rather than up as the current government is not printing money to cover its costs. Further, social unrest has largely been promoted by the Kirchner party and frankly it looks like most of them will be in jail in short order, as the corruption that anyone who ever tried to do business here during the K era was fully aware of, has come under the spotlight.

If your husband earns $2000 dollars or more, you will have an inflation adjusted income of at least 115,000 pesos, above your basic living expenses. You can live an excellent quality of life on that, depending on your interests. What I like (music, theatre, art etc) would cost me a fortune in London and basically nothing here. So an evening out is going to some event or exhibition and then spending the rest on a great dinner afterwards (and yes, as everything goes on till late, you can go to a concert and all the restaurants are still open when you leave (especially on the weekends).

In short, having read your remarks you seem very realistic, so I am sure you will have a great time here!

Feel free to get in touch by PM if you need assistance with something.

I'm glad to be the one to get you back posting!

Thanks for the encouragement and the information. I'll also send you a PM.

I'm glad to be the one to get you back posting!

Thanks for the encouragement and the information. I'll also send you a PM.

Hi Kaminoge,

Now that it’s been 8 months since the last post, how is the life in Argentina? Did you make the right choice moving there?

I have recently been interviewed for a job this coming August but I don’t know if I’m going to get the job yet. I have been reading about this inflation nightmare and I would like to know your opinion since you chose to live there now.

It would be grateful if you can give me some insight.

Thank you.

Back