a mainer with a dream to live in argentina

joe chidiac

Registered
dear baexpats, i,m a retiring early boatbuider with a dream of living in argentina as you've managed already. i've lived in rio de janeiro,loved it,butfeel argentina might be more to my style , can anyone throw me a bit of inspiration. general impressionns,cost of living ,expat community spirit, native sensibility this kind of thing. any thoughts will help at this early stage, joe;)

The best advice and the easiest for me (and others) if for you to simply start reading previous threads on this site. If you're not leaving tomorrow or next week, there's no hurry.

Hit "Forum" and start reading. Category after category, thread after thread. There is a wealth of information here from days, weeks, months, even years gone by. Start with that and come back with specifics as the time draws nearer. (Whether that's decision time or departure/arrival time.)

...de nada

no, por favor

no, a vos

no, cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Hello Joe,
As many of the people on this site have advised, before moving, come and stay for 3 months and see how you like it. If you like it, renew your visa and stay for another 3 months. This will help you a lot in making your decision and at the same time still keep some options open in the event you want to return to the States. Good luck.

Hi Joe,
some very short general impressions after 4 months in BSAS :

+++ : people: specially nice ,helpful, charming, open-minded - they are good looking too as long as they're young

+++ : climate: it's sunny about every day with pleasant temperatures

+++ : cost of living : all over it's less than 50% of what it is in European cities like Paris, specially housing, food + restaurants are excellent value

- - - : the administration ( including banks ) is a nightmare

- - - : poor public transport

good luck

Axel

+++ : climate: it's sunny about every day with pleasant temperatures

Not to play devils advocate...but what city are you living in? There have been quite a few gray days, especially recently...

Joe, did you say boat builder! The Rio de la Plata is a famous sailing area, as well as having had well-known ship builders, ….. you are going to fit in as a duck in the water!

Sailing Yachts and Power Motor Boats Regattas in the southern coasts of the Atlantic Ocean and the River Plate.

For the last 100 years Argentina has always been the home to international regattas and off shore competitions for all Latin America.

This country’s passion for water sports and sail trips began during the last years of the nineteenth century, when a few of the most well brought young boys of our society’s most respectful families engaged in an incredible adventure as they sailed through the Atlantic coasts towards the southern Patagionia lands. Mr. Hortencio Aguirre Anchorena and some of his closest friends got together after the amazing experience and decided to open the Yacht Club Argentino.

It was a few months later when the first sail regatta took place in our country. This was one of the biggest events in the southern continent at that time, all the most important families and personalities open their busy schedules to witness it. “It was unforgettable”, this is the impression that can be traced down through the papers of that time. It must have been, for these chick events haven’t stopped ever since.

After this initial foundation, many other yacht, sail and boating clubs appeared, and were very welcome by our society, and still are.

Buenos Aires is a port side city; its shores are bathed by the waters of one of the world’s widest river, the Rio de la Plata, as well as by the foamy shore of the Atlantic Ocean. Just across the Rio de la Plata is our neighbor slash brother country, Uruguay. This excellent fluvial location is very well taken advantage by all those sea lovers who enjoy not only sailing and cruising but as well very much appreciate these kinds of sports. And although, as we said before, Argentina has always hosted all sorts of events of this kind, for the last few years the feeling for these kind of sports has grown bigger and bigger, experiencing with off the top locations, both in Argentina and Uruguay.

In summertime the beloved location has become Punta del Este, just a few hours away from BA, in Uruguay. The over the top summer resort that welcomes the crème de la crème of all Latin America, and during the last few years has also been the chosen destination for many Americans and Europeans for its gorgeous beaches, its broad night life, and of course, because it is proven that Punta –as the frequent visitors call it- is the top place to be in during January and February. The famous summertime regattas go from the Argentinean Delta to the Punta del Este port. The Delta also hosts famous regattas, very well known for their international level. Mar del Plata, the seaside host to these events has historically been a luxurious beach resort in Argentina, offering the visitors the best of our traditions and lifestyle.

These southern portside cities that welcome hundreds of sea loving visitors every day, have proven them right in their choices, for their comfort, luxury and style are the best perfect match to these outstanding water events.

Meantime, ............... More Soon, Bob Frassinetti

Also I would research the following places as to where to Live and Travel to during your stay in Argentina,….

Places to live for boat builders, would be the northern corridor of Great Buenos Aires, known as Tigre, to say Becker. Full of Yacht Clubs along the river, also join a Club, one of the best Yacht Club Argentina……. You also have the area next to Tigre, called Delta, a large area for sailing boats and motor yachts, and the sea side resort, Mar del Plata along the Atlantic cost….. you also have Colonia, and Punta del Este, next door neighbors Uruguay.

Meantime, ...............

If you are from Maine you may want to consider living way down south, the climate may be more familiar!!! Kidding. But places like Tigre and San Isidro (just north of the city) is where most of the sailing action takes place (I race both large boats and various classes of dingies.) They are very pleasant (at least in places) places to live and much cheaper than the city - although as I have said before many times on these forums, Argentina is a place with no rules, but with a bit of work you can find what you want.

Places like Mar del Plata are nice and have boats, but the money is here in BsAs, and hence so is the yachting world.

Good luck.

Joe, what makes you think you would prefer Argentina?

Alex and Joe:

+++ : people: There has been a lot said on this here. I guess it fepends on the individual people. I don't find Argentines very helpful in general nor especialy open minded. They tend to be conformists and status oriented.

+++ : climate: I am sitting here with lots of heat on. Where I am, cloudy all day. We have a lot of sun but hardly every day!

+++ : cost of living: Again, this topic has been well covered. Yes, it's generally cheaper than places like Paris but prices are now close to US prices with many items (clothes, all electronics, cars, etc) costing far more. Even a lot of food costs more here.

- - - : the administration ( including banks ) is a nightmare. True. A very bureaucratic and inefficient country but not the worst to be found.

- - - : poor public transport: I disagree. It is very comprehensive and inexpensive. Admittedly many suburban trains are very run down and unsafe however the subway and bus systems run frequently and work well though buses are noisy and polluting.

For someone who loves the water, Argentina is not a great place. The weather is cold a good part of the year, beaches are generally poor and water cold. Brazil has it all over Argentina in this sense - beautiful beaches, cleaner and warmer water, milder winters. I'd add that Brazilians are generally friendlier than Argentines, less stuck up and generally far more laid back and open minded.

sergio said:
Joe, what makes you think you would prefer Argentina?

Alex and Joe:

+++ : people: There has been a lot said on this here. I guess it fepends on the individual people. I don't find Argentines very helpful in general nor especialy open minded. They tend to be conformists and status oriented.

+++ : climate: I am sitting here with lots of heat on. Where I am, cloudy all day. We have a lot of sun but hardly every day!

+++ : cost of living: Again, this topic has been well covered. Yes, it's generally cheaper than places like Paris but prices are now close to US prices with many items (clothes, all electronics, cars, etc) costing far more. Even a lot of food costs more here.

- - - : the administration ( including banks ) is a nightmare. True. A very bureaucratic and inefficient country but not the worst to be found.

- - - : poor public transport: I disagree. It is very comprehensive and inexpensive. Admittedly many suburban trains are very run down and unsafe however the subway and bus systems run frequently and work well though buses are noisy and polluting.

For someone who loves the water, Argentina is not a great place. The weather is cold a good part of the year, beaches are generally poor and water cold. Brazil has it all over Argentina in this sense - beautiful beaches, cleaner and warmer water, milder winters. I'd add that Brazilians are generally friendlier than Argentines, less stuck up and generally far more laid back and open minded.

I agree with you, 100%

Back