A Shitty New Years Eve.. and the Porteño Attitude

Amargo said:
I believe naming all 14 million porteños cheats is just arrogant, ignorant and denotates helplessness in building trustworthy relationships. Oh, and an insult to all GREAT porteños I know.

No one here said all porteños are cheats.

And you are not a foreigner in Argentina, are you?

steveinbsas said:
No one here said all porteños are cheats

Don´t want to argue, but read the thread once again.

And yes, I am a long-time expat, spending a few months per year abroad (outside Argentina) for work related reasons.

rcmedia said:
There are travel warnings for La Boca, Congresso, Villa 31 etc.. but not Retiro in the materials I was reading.
In fact the Wikipedia page for Retiro says "is home to many high-end stores and residential areas popular among both local wealthy gentry and expatriate executives."
I live in Recoleta and it's very safe at night... I was led to believe Retiro was a similar kind of area.

Plaza SM in Retiro is right in front of Villa 31 ( less than 2 blocks )

rcmedia said:
Actually I did find it strange.. but at that point it was one guy who was smaller than me and I could have easily handled him on my own.
Plus (and in hindsight rather foolishly) I did place some degree of trust in my Portena friend who seemed to think nothing of it (*I can't wait for your responses to that part lol)..
She had been pretty damn good to me up until that point on many, many other occasions.
She is not from downtown and obviously didn't think there would be a problem.

At risk of sounding chauvinist, most Arg girls/women do not have much of a clue about dangerous areas in the city. They are used to being protected by their boyfriends or husbands. That might have been the case with your friend: she probably thought you were going to protect her when the stranger started talking in the event anything happened...

Ever since 9 de julio sliced it in half there are two Retiros: One on each side of the avenue. Obviously the Recoleta side is the chic section.

nikad said:
At risk of sounding chauvinist, most Arg girls/women do not have much of a clue about dangerous areas in the city. They are used to being protected by their boyfriends or husbands. That might have been the case with your friend: she probably thought you were going to protect her when the stranger started talking in the event anything happened...

Are you questioning his macho?

Back