A Shitty New Years Eve.. and the Porteño Attitude

It seems to me that many here are just unable to develop trusty relationships. Following the alledgedly common pattern among porteños, it is because of the porteños.
As the saying goes: dime con quien andas y te diré como eres.

Just my two peso cents.

Amargo said:
It seems to me that many here are just unable to develop trusty relationships. Following the alledgedly common pattern among porteños, it is because of the porteños.
As the saying goes: dime con quien andas y te diré como eres.

Just my two peso cents.

BA (home to the porteños) is so full of liars, cheats, pick pockets, and professional scammers (especially landlords) that seem to operate without any negative consequence, perhaps it deserves it's reputation.

I can see why they would not trust each other.

I would certainly not be able to develop a trusting realtionship with somone who would put me in a position to be robbed (Plaza San Martin at night) and then was nonchalant about it.

scarface said:
Fair enough, but you made a few points, not one.
The first point you made was about "not trusting others" being the first law of Argentina. If what you meant was that Argentines are not any less trustworthy than any other demograpic, you didn't express it very clearly. Sorry. It seemed you were singling them out. Understand now you are not.
The second point you made was that Argentines are unique in denying culpability for wrongful acts ("everything is always someone else's fault").
You made a third point - that the girl and Argentines in general empathize less with other peoples misfortunes. Lastly, you said this Argentine girl would typically not be able to use reason and logic. I don't agree with any of these later points.

Read my posting again and you'll see that I clearly differentiate between Portenos and Argentines. I know alot of people from other Argentine cities and the culture of civility, honesty and respect for themselves and others is much nobler.

Ask most of them as well as a majority of Portenos and you will find that they call Buenos Aires the 'jungle' for good reason. If you look back through history (read Romero's History of Argentina in the 20th century) and you'll understand that the culture of this city was founded on cheating, deceit, smuggling, and violence. I'm not saying all Portenos are bad. What I'm saying is that it is much more dangerous here for us and for them in every respect that greatly exceeds a per-capita justification (i.e it's the culture stupid). This place has so much to offer but sadly, Portenos in general have rightly earned their poor national and international reputation. Sorry if you think I'm a sad, mentally ill person but hey, you sound like a retired lawyer so I guess we're even.

I would be willing to meet you over coffee and have a civilized discussion anytime. Perhaps you can show me the light and change my mind.

I agree with you LostinBA and would like to know how do you survive BsArs. For me, half Argentinean half Dutch, it's so difficult to make friendships here as I've to be always on guard after so many cases of cheaters and liars. That's on the personal level but then professionally: so much disinterest, so much negligence, bureaucracy and mismanagement!
Give us some guides and tips how to stay here, try to enjoy the city but not become acid please.

elclandestino said:
Some of you guys simply act dumb, no doubt

You're not on a safari

Just a walkabout can be dangeroues in BA.

Especially if you have no clue where you're walking or the fact that you are the prey.

And the urban jungle is full of predators...day and night.

Just waiting for the next Nikon-necked albino.

steveinbsas said:
Just a walkabout can be dangeroues in BA..

Just like any city in the world? Every city has its good parts and its bad parts. Getting off the wrong exit on Interstate 70 in St. Louis is likely to scare you more than walking in a villa -- at least that was my case.

I don't want to blame or knock the OP, but Plaza San Martin? And what about the stranger that came up to him and his friend? Maybe I've been in this city too long, but you'd never find me sitting in any plaza at night-time. But if I were, I sure as hell would not let some stranger just come up next to me and take a seat. If a stranger tries to strike up a conversation with you in this city -- in a park, a subway, etc., -- it's not the norm. You can't even chat up normal people in BA at a party, so it would strike me as extremely odd if someone living in BA started talking to me in a plaza...at night. :confused:

We all learn these lessons, harder than others sometimes.

bradlyhale said:
And what about the stranger that came up to him and his friend? Maybe I've been in this city too long, but you'd never find me sitting in any plaza at night-time. But if I were, I sure as hell would not let some stranger just come up next to me and take a seat. If a stranger tries to strike up a conversation with you in this city -- in a park, a subway, etc., -- it's not the norm. You can't even chat up normal people in BA at a party, so it would strike me as extremely odd if someone living in BA started talking to me in a plaza...at night. :confused:

This is a great point. Unfortunately, the victim of this sad tale not only didn't find it strange, he seemed to be oblivious of the danger sitting next to him (probably on the other side of his friend):

rcmedia said:
I started taking photos of the fireworks...About then a guy in his 20's came and sat next to us and started talking to my Porteña friend... all the while I'm concentrating on taking good photos with my camera in night mode, which requires a very steady hand.
Unfortunately she mentioned to him (in Spanish) that I was from Canada during their conversation.
He did not seem to be a threat at this point and he just sat with us for 5-10 minutes talking to her so I just kept taking photos.

Of course the camera and the Blackberry didn't really belong to rcmedia in the first place.

They belonged to the planet. Isn't that what you believe, Bradley?

Perhaps the four perps represented the planet better than the OP.

LostinBA said:
....If you look back through history (read Romero's History of Argentina in the 20th century) and you'll understand that the culture of this city was founded on cheating, deceit, smuggling, and violence.

That is easy to see and check, just by looking at the results of the vote to elect the government of Buenos Aires, all been said, fits like a glove made to size...

if it were up to you , who would be running the city ? hello ? Lucas ?

Back