A Shitty New Years Eve.. and the Porteño Attitude

Ceviche said:
Yes, I can fill you in. I have no reason to " lie" on what I know or have heard of from people I personally know. Do I gain anything by saying something which is a figment of my imagination?
Possibly. Trolls have motives to fabricate. (I see the knowledge of such incidents has now morphed from firsthand to hearsay.)

Ceviche said:
Having said that, the incidents can not be narrated in a single line and if I care to miss out any vital detail, the veterans of this forum will come out with their swords and sarcasm.
Sorry, you don't sound credible.

Ceviche said:
Yes if we meet in some get together, I will be happy to narrate.
I have no interest in meeting you.

I got no single reason not to believe the story

Some Argentines are really really ignorant when it comes to security / safety / crime and wouldn't give a crap if a Gringo gets robbed

An Argentine girl with a Gringo on NYE seems iffy to me. I mean, separating Argentines from their closest circle on Holidays and Sundays is really really hard. She could be involved in the plot

I feel sorry for you, mate

nikad said:
I don´t get your attitude towards the veterans of the forum... (???) IF you say something idiotic, anybody, veteran or newbie has the right to chime in :)

It is because most of the veterans of the forum barring few polite ones ( such as " steveinba") are mighty rude and sarcastic if someone says something here, you " veterans" disagree with.

On the forum, everyone is entitled to one's opinion. But most of the eternal "veterans" of the forum seem to behave as if they know all about Argentina and BA. Just because someone is not spending time on the forum or newly entered the forum does not mean he/she just arrived in BA or is a troll or knows jackass about BA as compared the the "supposed "veterans of the forum.

scarface said:
I see the knowledge of such incidents has now morphed from firsthand to hearsay

Sorry, you don't sound credible.

you.

You are talking as if you are some judge or superintendent of police?

Lol

Everything on this forum is only hearsay. People using "handles"talking from their computers.

elclandestino said:
I got no single reason not to believe the story

Some Argentines are really really ignorant when it comes to security /

An Argentine girl with a Gringo on NYE seems iffy to me. I mean, separating Argentines from their closest circle on Holidays and Sundays is really really hard. She could be involved in the plot

I feel sorry for you, mate

I agree 100% on this.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, but you should know you don't take thousand dollar cameras out in the streets of BA at night, in a park, in a dodgy area. Professional photographers won't even take pictures at night in open areas because of the risk of theft - even in the "nice" neighborhoods! :p

I can't speak for your friend... but perhaps she was just shocked by it all. Maybe she didn't want to scare you off by admitting how bad things are here... or perhaps she's just led a very sheltered life somehow. Most Argies I know are well aware of the crime problem and extra cautious... my fiance wouldn't even take me out at night the first few years, claiming it was too dangerous! :rolleyes:

By the way, if you've only been here a month, chances are you stick out and don't blend in with the local population... so even if she announced you're Canadian, or spoke English, you two probably stuck out anyway... especially carrying a large camera or speaking broken Spanish. It doesn't really matter though since chorros will rob anyone. You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and like many many others (both Argies and expats) you were mugged. It happens... a lot. :(

Take this as a BA lesson on survival and start to take a much more cautious attitude when going out with your friends... don't completely trust anyone and always be aware of your surroundings. ;)

Eclair said:
Sorry to hear this happened to you, but you should know you don't take thousand dollar cameras out in the streets of BA at night, in a park, in a dodgy area. Professional photographers won't even take pictures at night in open areas because of the risk of theft - even in the "nice" neighborhoods! :p

I can't speak for your friend... but perhaps she was just shocked by it all. Maybe she didn't want to scare you off by admitting how bad things are here... or perhaps she's just led a very sheltered life somehow. Most Argies I know are well aware of the crime problem and extra cautious... my fiance wouldn't even take me out at night the first few years, claiming it was too dangerous! :rolleyes:

By the way, if you've only been here a month, chances are you stick out and don't blend in with the local population... so even if she announced you're Canadian, or spoke English, you two probably stuck out anyway... especially carrying a large camera or speaking broken Spanish. It doesn't really matter though since chorros will rob anyone. You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and like many many others (both Argies and expats) you were mugged. It happens... a lot. :(

Take this as a BA lesson on survival and start to take a much more cautious attitude when going out with your friends... don't completely trust anyone and always be aware of your surroundings. ;)

Tell your Fiance, thanks for the master class. I am planning on using that same line. "it´s to dangerous to take you out baby" LOL! (Baby, I was thinking La Carrera tonight, but I don´t want to expose you to the horrors of the night.) One question: "After a few years you couldn´t figure out his ruse? Damn he must be good, or....

Well at least your Porteño won´t drag you to take pictures in a villa at night with a 1k target wrapped around your neck.

Back to the Canadian; Where in the Yukon valley are you from that you didn´t think to ask if it was safe to bring the camera? Did you not read anything about BA before arriving here? Like everyone else is asking: How did you save this girls life? By not putting up a fight for your property? That´s what you get for wearing that Canadian flag so people don´t mistake you for an American!

You both have your problems, I have mine. I can´t make no friends, and I can´t figure out why.

I have never been robbed but I am cautious.
The city is not particullary dangerous unless you do studip things like to show off this expensive electronics. We are not in Colombia or Rio for sure, just try to have low profile and enjoy BA. Regards

Back