A simple traffic accident can be dangerous

steveinbsas said:
While the injury to your eye is a great cause for concern, I think the second most disturbing thing about this is the fact that the Argie on-lookers had such a negative attitude toward a foreigner.

If foreigners are despised and reviled in BA, why should they continue to spend their time and money there?
Steve, I agree that it is deeply disturbing and one can easily imagine being the target of an angry mob. However, on balance I would say that the number of times that being a foreigner is a tremendous advantage outweighs the times when it is a negative. I try to keep that in mind.
We will always be "the other" no matter how long we are here but that is also part of what made me want to be an expat in the first place; the two things go hand in hand.

surfing said:
Steve, I agree that it is deeply disturbing and one can easily imagine being the target of an angry mob. However, on balance I would say that the number of times that being a foreigner is a tremendous advantage outweighs the times when it is a negative. I try to keep that in mind.
We will always be "the other" no matter how long we are here but that is also part of what made me want to be an expat in the first place; the two things go hand in hand.

I have lived in several countries in the western hemisphere. I was treated very well in the village I lived in in Mexico because I lived there year round and actually lived in the pueblo with the Mexicans, not up on the hillsides with an ocean view like the snowbirds and the wealthy gringos. Nonetheless, being a foreigner never gave me an advantage over the nationals (and it shouldn't have).

It has been far easier to embrace life where I am now compared to BA. Not only are there no tourists, there aren't any other North Americans, Canadians, or Europeans. I didn't come here to assimilate. I just came here to live. Here I am the only "other" aka "yanqui" and it's been a wonderful experience.

I believe El Queso was very fortunate to be able to comunicate in the local idioma but that also may have worked against him. Most foreigners who can't speak castellano probably wouldn't have been driving in BA in the first place and probably wouldn't have been nearly as agressive if he or she was driving.

i`m sorry to hear what happened to you. bad luck about that punch about the aftermath of it i mean. i hope you fully recover soon.

You should be proud of what you taught your sons. They would be better person than that one!

It's the son and his friends that badly need the lesson here. That father has taught him to be a bully like he is. It is so distressing to here about the crowd mentality in a country we all enjoy and want to be supportive of.

Get better soon and try not to let it color your whole experience here.

This has gotten me thinking about the warm welcome our Argentine employees get when in the states. We had a couple here last week who were invited out for drinks by people they met in a bar, remembered by shuttle drivers as "the great guy from Argentina" and just very warmly welcomed.

jb5 said:
It's the son and his friends that badly need the lesson here. That father has taught him to be a bully like he is. It is so distressing to here about the crowd mentality in a country we all enjoy and want to be supportive of.

Get better soon and try not to let it color your whole experience here.

Yes, we all hope you heal fast, but life in BA isn't about to change.

I am not saying this because I think any other foreigners will move where I am.

Most of them will be much better off if they just visit BA for a week or two.

And forget about moving here.

I keep thinking about this among other things and it just drives me nuts, even though it didn't happen to me.

I can't stand the punk element behind saying he's a minor after he punched you.

Having had a similarly frightening (though different) experience some months ago when a motorcyclist hit my car and flew 20 metres down the road (he was miraculously able to stand afterwards) I kind of understand the vulnerability you feel when standing your ground here. My case was a lot more debatable as to where the blame lay as I was swerving to avoid someone else and the moto guy was doing the normal million miles and hour. However, the standout points that no one seems to have picked up on are for me;

Actually the police behaved very professionally (I had about 6 of them as it was in Alta Palermo). They didn't take anyone's side, spoke to witnesses, and were non agressive and non-judgemental in my case. It appears this is true of yours.

In a contested accident the police impound both your cars / vehicles as security for costs (in my understanding). This gives you a very strong reason not to back down if you are in the right, as damages are to some extent guaranteed by their assets.

I started driving much less aggressively after my accident as I always had it in the back of my mind what shit would have transpired (possibly custodial) had the guy been killed. I have now reverted back to driving like everyone else here(though obviously as a brit I think I drive better), as driving slowly seems to provoke more agression than anything else.

You were very unlucky to meet a middle class kid that could actually throw a punch. My experience is that they are normally too worried about ruining their clothes (this does not apply to kids from the villas of course).

Your story also makes it clear that the medical care in extremis is very high quality and professional. I have had a few minor accidents, stitches, rib injuries etc, and have been treated both privately and in the public system (when I was bleeding profusely). Certainly compared to the UK, the healthcare seems to be excellent.

I'm not trying to diminish the gravity of your experience in a any way, just picking up on some of the positive points that you relate that otherwise the naysayers who predominate on this site will ignore. Having spent a lot of time in real 3rd world countries in Africa, India etc, I am sure things would have been different there.

Hope you make a speedy recovery!

I'm not sure the police behaved so professionally... at the very least the police should have asked him if he was okay and if he needed an ambulance or a ride to the hospital. :( I also feel like they sided with the father "what do you expect a son to do?" is no attitude for a cop to have - they should be upholding the law, which says you shouldn't harm another person. They didn't seem too interested in seeing justice served or stopping this from happening again.

Argentina has a real issue with punk kids thinking they can get away with whatever they want either by hiding behind daddy or using their age as an excuse. The moment you decide to act like a man, you should be treated like one to the full extent of the law. :mad: (He was of age anyway, making his whole "soy menor!" thing more pathetic.)

The fact he received good medical care is great... but that's really searching for the silver lining to a busted eye socket. I'm sure he'd prefer to not have ever been in the hospital at all. :rolleyes:

Back