How would you get a simple medical test done as a tourist?

DavidWPotts

Registered
Hi Everyone

I'm due to travel into Buenos Aires in a few days. The only issue is, I've had some health issues crop up literally a few days ago. I managed to get a doctors appointment here in the UK and they want me to get a stool test to check for blood. They have said it's probably nothing, but they wanted to check to make sure. The only problem is the process will take too long and I won't have enough time to get it done before I leave. I would have thought it would be possible to get a simple test like this done in Buenos Aires, but I don't really know what the process would be:

1. Would it just be a matter of finding any private healthcare clinic, booking an appointment and explaining the issue?

2. Are there any places in particular people could recommend?

3. Does anyone have any idea what the prices would be?

4. Would there be any issue with paying for care myself directly, rather than going through insurance. I'd rather my insurance rates not go up

Thanks,

David

Did you get your return flight?
If not you’ll be doing it back in Blighty 😀

In answer to your question yes it can be done in several places, worst case you go to a private hospital and pay ‘particular’.

You might have to pay for consultation first or they may accept your present doctors note.

Otherwise one of the many Laboratories like Diagnóstico Maipú or Centralab can probably do it.

Not sure how good your Spanish is because it may be a bit of a hassle organising it if you don’t speak the lingo.

the process will take too long
Good old NHS incapable of taking stool samples within few days, how familiar is that!
If i were you, I'd get all possible tests and treatments done outside of the UK. It might set you a few quid back but you will have it done before you die of old age.

Other people are already giving you useful recommendations so I'll just add my two-pennorth based on a similar circumstance I went though.recently.

First, it would be helpful if your doctor in the UK could write a note for the doctor in Argentina to say what they are looking for to avoid the situation where they either a) have to test for absolutely everything or b) a doctor will have to examine you from scratch to decide what's needed. A letter in English is fine: medical students in Buenos Aires do medical English as part of their course.

You will probably have to buy an approved container for your sample. They sell these in pharmacies and I bought mine from one of the Farmacity branches because they appeared to have what was needed available and cheap.

Once you have -ahem- filled and labelled the sample container you will take it to a lab together with the doctor's order. You will need to pay a fee to the lab. If these are routine tests I wouldn't expect them to cost a lot: I paid well south of USD100 each for mine.

The report will be sent to the doctor who signed the order so make sure they are able to contact you in order to give you your results.

Good luck!

Edited to add: this may not make much if any difference to your insurance costs. Depending on your age and other things, the policy may require you to report any medical conditions, investigations etc whether or not you make any claim to the insurer over them. I would read your insurance policy very carefully since not reporting something to the insurers could invalidate your policy and leave you without cover.

Last edited:
Good old NHS incapable of taking stool samples within few days, how familiar is that!
If i were you, I'd get all possible tests and treatments done outside of the UK. It might set you a few quid back but you will have it done before you die of old age.
I think it’s also dependent on the seriousness of the problem. The waiting list for non-life threatening procedures is indeed dire but if it’s something life threatening, at least anecdotally, you’ll be escalated accordingly.

OP hasn’t divulged the nature of the health issue but if it’s uncomfortable enough for a long haul flight, I’d delay it if possible. If it’s not deemed sufficiently serious by the NHS it’s unlikely to be seen this week, this month, and likely this year, and would henceforth potentially be better tended to in Argentina. In any case, I’m not a health professional and can’t speculate effectively to this situation

I think it’s also dependent on the seriousness of the problem. The waiting list for non-life threatening procedures is indeed dire but if it’s something life threatening, at least anecdotally, you’ll be escalated accordingly.

OP hasn’t divulged the nature of the health issue but if it’s uncomfortable enough for a long haul flight, I’d delay it if possible. If it’s not deemed sufficiently serious by the NHS it’s unlikely to be seen this week, this month, and likely this year, and would henceforth potentially be better tended to in Argentina. In any case, I’m not a health professional and can’t speculate effectively to this situation
Just for brevity I’ll describe the situation I faced just over a year ago a couple of weeks in advance of flying to Argentina. I had a health problem, and I avoid hospitals like the plague but it got to the point that I was left with no choice. I was triaged and in general surgery within 2 hours of arriving. For all the NHS’ faults, if it’s life-threateningly urgent, and I stress I’m talking anecdotally, you’ll be seen to

Surely just get the private test done in UK? And even if that takes a few days to process, then have them email your results to you?

Surely just get the private test done in UK? And even if that takes a few days to process, then have them email your results to you?
it's august, all private health care is on maldives, they will only be able to take one's £400 in the beginning of october, if not gone for halloween party.
seriously, so many people commute on Ryanair to their better service in eastern europe
the OP has a great opportunity to try it out in argentina, may be a life changing experience

Thanks for the advice. But my travel insurance provider has cancelled my insurance now, so I wont be able to travel until the issue is no longer under investigation.

Back