A Tango Show Which Is Not A Rip-Off?

mariano-BCN

Registered
I'm looking for a place with a tango show, including dancers, which is not like el Viejo Almacén and other rip-off places in San Telmo and Puerto Madero.
Anybody?

yeps, I'm taking classes and do know more or less the way into milongas but I'm asking for a tango-show for two visitors from Holland who don't want to see the shows "for export" but the real. I'm starting to think there's no such one in whole BsArs, they're all for dummie tourists who pay too much to see too little.

I went to bar sur on san telmo once and I liked the intimacy of only a few tables. There were a couple dancing, a man singing gardel and a tango trio taking turns. It was touristical and for foreigners of course but compared to tortoni and mr tango and others i really enjoyed my time there and they played not only the most known tangos but also a few that are a bit forgotten. Then i went a second time and it wasnt quite the same. I never went a third time to check if i was lucky the first time or unlucky the second, but even the second time was better then some others i have been.

yeps, I'm taking classes and do know more or less the way into milongas but I'm asking for a tango-show for two visitors from Holland who don't want to see the shows "for export" but the real. I'm starting to think there's no such one in whole BsArs, they're all for dummie tourists who pay too much to see too little.

Most visitors don't know the difference, so they're willing to pay the price of a dinner show which is very inexpensive for anyone with dollars or Euros in hand. It's stage entertainment with orchestra, beautiful costumes, and handsome couples. Even if your friends don't dance tango, take them to a milonga for the older set and they'll get to see the real tango danced by real people that is not a show. The price is right -- 50 pesos or less for the entrada plus drinks.

www.hoy-milonga.com

The tango houses that offer dinner/shows exist for tourism. They keep a lot of Argentines working. They provide excellent entertainment and food for those who enjoy theater instead of dancing themselves.

The show "Social Tango" may still be running at Teatro Ribera in La Boca. It's choreography, but more closely resembles the tango of the milongas. The entrada is reasonable. It's the only show (no dinner, no tourists) that I can suggest which meets your criteria. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7g3Tp2Tg4c

I agree about taking them to a milonga. You can also find out which milongas feature an exhibition by a guest couple at around half-time - so they can see authentic social tango, and a performance geared not for tourists but for tango people. If you like the milonga idea, with our without a 3-4 piece exhibition interval, the next step would be to choose the milonga. The dancing and the atmospheres vary widely. You can get some suggestions from forum people here, or ask your teachers for recommendations. I think a number of us agree that the milonga solution will be a more satisfying experience for them. And as Jantango says, "the price is right".

If your guests like the experience, you can give them this url for finding tango in Amsterdam and the rest of the Netherlands: http://www.torito.nl/agenda/

Try Sabor a Tango. It's not so expensive and in a lovely old theatre. Sometimes people want to see a proper glitzy tango show with lots of slits and trucos, not just authentic tango dancing in a milonga. Nothing wrong with that!
https://saboratango.com.ar/

Corner of San Juan Av and Boedo Av. There is an excellent resto and tango show. Forgot its name though. I think is Homero Manzi, a famous tango composer that lived in the area

Back