A Trip Of A Lifetime...

csparson

Registered
I'm looking to see one other Latin American country after I leave Buenos Aires in mid-July. I've already been to Chile (Santiago, Valpo, and Patagonia) and Brazil (Sao Paulo and Rio). If you had to recommend a city/location to visit, where would you recommend?

I'm thinking: 1) Bogota; 2) Panama City; 3) Lima?

Thoughts to help me consider: I'm trying to end up in DC, and trying to do this trip on the cheap!

So, 1) destinations without reciprocity fees and lots of direct flights from BA and to DC would be helpful! 2) Not opposed to taking a bus from BA if it is reasonably priced and not totally uncomfortable!

(Kind of like a puzzle...how to put together the pieces to save money but not miss out on an incredible experience.

I spent 7 months in Lima, along the coastline, quite a lovely place and cool during night. There isn't much to do in city though, food, accommodation, transportation are cheap. Cusco might be a better choice, It is a beautiful city and then from there you can visit Machu Picchu.
All the best,
Nik

I suggest Ecuador! I loved it there...its beautiful and lots to do. Check out Banos,Quito, Canoa. Those were my favorite three spots.

Hi csparson,

First, how long are you planning to spend? I think that will help us give you a suggestion. I know Bogotá well at this point and I can tell you that the city is HUGE and can be hard to get around, yes, even compared to Buenos Aires. But I think it is well worth a visit if you like big cities. Completely different from Buenos Aires and everywhere else you've been in Latin America. Traveling there on a bus is not recommended; bus travel in Colombia isn't great in general and then you have winding roads in the mountains. Going just from Medellín to the coast, for example, is a somewhat perilous 12-hour journey on a good day, I'm told. I know Avianca now does a direct flight now from BA to Bogotá, fortunately. (They are partnered with United as part of the Star Alliance, FYI.) Used to have to connect in Lima, which was a pain. I believe they go straight to D.C. from Bogotá as well. You could rack up a lot of miles!

If I were you I'd pick between Lima and Bogotá, although admittedly I haven't been to Panama City. I spent three weeks in Lima and loved it, and Machu Picchu was definitely a bucket list item that blew me away, so if you had a chance to get there too... But what kind of trip are you looking for? Culture and museums? Partying? History? Outdoorsy stuff?

We have not done it yet, but very high on our to do list is the long walk to Machupiccu. I think that is a special trip.
Nancy

After a 6 months in the big city of BA, I think I'd like to get out and breathe a little bit. Not a big partier, so nightlife isn't huge. More interested in seeing amazing sights and cultural activities. I was planning on anywhere from a week to 10 days, prefer Spanish speaking (so no Brazil) and prefer to avoid the reciprocity fee for Americans. Central America is an option too!

Where are the chepeast international destinations from BA in July?

I'm in Bolivia right now... Sucre, to be exact. It's lovely! Really cheap too. It cost $300 USD return from BA on Boliviana Air and there was no reciprocity fee.

i would not choose panama city!!

I've never been to Panama City, but from the looks of the photos, if you like Miami, then you might enjoy Panama City... but it begs the question "WHY?!? Would you visit a place that's like Miami, when Miami is always going to be there?"

Peru/Ecuador/Colombia- I haven't been to any of them, but I would focus on those countries. Smaller towns, nature, The Coast vs The Mountains. Forget Panama.

Back