A year in a Slum

Status
Not open for further replies.
surfing said:
Exactly!

I am impressed that Tom has the courage of his convictions.

The most shocking thing in this thread though is the "pompous" and rather ignorant criticism. How do such closed-minded people end up venturing out to live in a foreign land?

Could you please specify what you thought was "pompous" and ignorant criticism?

surfing said:
I could...

The op has raised some fundamental questions but it appears that the point of his post has been lost in the noise.

Is the tone of his post so much more important than the message?

TrevorCito said:
The op has raised some fundamental questions but it appears that the point of his post has been lost in the noise.

Is the tone of his post so much more important than the message?

The OPs story sounds very interesting and I would be interested in hearing more. His initial post was quite general, I would be interested to know some specifics and what his future plans are etc as a result of this obviously life changing experience.

I think these kind of points, when explained and demonstrated appropriately really could inspire others as well. I think (if possible), a blog with photos could be a good idea.

As others have said here, it's all about education, changing attitudes and opportunity. The government here wants votes. They hand out little subsidies to appease the poor who keep coming back for more, ever dependent on the cynical system. There is no excuse for this poverty. Argentina has plenty of resources. The problem is the mentality of the people, reflected in the political leaders.

In reality, there are far, far worse places than Argentina but people in these worse off places survive, often without any help from the state. I've seen far worse poverty in places like India and Pakistan. People in those countries often take overseas guest worker jobs. Many go to Middle Eastern Gulf countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or the United Arab Emirates where they earn a couple hundred dollars or less a month (living and working under oppressive conditions) so that they can remit most of it to the their families back home. If they could come to Argentina and have the opportunities that poor Argentines have they would be overjoyed. The poverty in Argentina has nothing to do with the US or any other first world country but everything to do with a culture that has created it.

chris said:
As others have said here, it's all about education, changing attitudes and opportunity. The government here wants votes. They hand out little subsidies to appease the poor who keep coming back for more, ever dependent on the cynical system. There is no excuse for this poverty. Argentina has plenty of resources. The problem is the mentality of the people, reflected in the political leaders.

In reality, there are far, far worse places than Argentina but people in these worse off places survive, often without any help from the state. I've seen far worse poverty in places like India and Pakistan. People in those countries often take overseas guest worker jobs. Many go to Middle Eastern Gulf countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or the United Arab Emirates where they earn a couple hundred dollars or less a month (living and working under oppressive conditions) so that they can remit most of it to the their families back home. If they could come to Argentina and have the opportunities that poor Argentines have they would be overjoyed. The poverty in Argentina has nothing to do with the US or any other first world country but everything to do with a culture that has created it.

100% true, the politicians want people to be poor in order to control them, they maintain them they don't deal with them they don't try to really help them and they make it worse by not controling inmigration. Almost all the population in the slum are inmigrant they should be helped not used politically as is happening right now

chris said:

Great post!

steveinbsas said:
Oh, Mitch, how can you be so negative?

Tom is trying to shed some light on the plight of the poor in Argentina!

Go buy a lamp! ;)

You made me introspect. Would you know of a slum that would have me? And with all the bakeries around, I can bring them cake.

arlean said:
Tom, do you mind telling us the area you were in? I notice that, as far as I could find in this thread, you didn't mention the area.

I am in Corrientes. I would not recommend that anyone try this in the BA area. Yes these people in Corrientes are poor but they are mostly good people and honorable. Yes poor, but honest and with honor. Not all but I would say 80% or more are trust worthy and have honor. The people in Corrientes when you come to know them are very friendly and open minded.

If I was in a location like this in BA I would probably be dead by now.

chris said:
In reality, there are far, far worse places than Argentina but people in these worse off places survive, often without any help from the state. I've seen far worse poverty in places like India and Pakistan.

So true.. Honduras was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. And that was 20 years ago.. people just living in pure hell. And now they are a cartel war zone. Putting their children in the ground so American’s can get high.. pause..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back