ABL in CABA will rise an average of 34% in 2019

People like to compare Buenos Aires to other cities as this justifies their arguments that it is cheap. It may be cheap for you with strong foreign currencies but for the pensioner who is lucky to get 200 dollars a month how can you justify building expenses and services close to 400 dollars a month. In Recoleta it is mostly populated by older ladies who in the main inherited their property and some savings which do not last forever. This is not a wealthy area like Palermo Chico or Puerto Madero where people are vastly wealthier and with cash flow
you could make the same arguments for just about any city in the USA right now- that is, that ordinary people cannot afford to buy or rent at current market rates. But, the big difference is- in addition to making very low wages, american middle class people must also pay ten times the taxes, generally 3 or 4 times the utility bills, and double or triple the expensas. And housing prices are often double or triple or quadruple, in relation to salaries, as they are in Argentina.
It is absolutely true that, in terms of average argentline lower middle class wages, buying an apartment in Recoleta is impossible. But its also just as true in Miami or LA or NYC or Seattle, Vancouver or Toronto.
The problem of low wages versus high real estate prices is present in most first world countries, and a lot of poorer ones as well.

I am not comparing Buenos Aires directly- instead, I am saying, for many foreign buyers, and for many wealthy argentines, what you get for your dollar in Buenos Aires is much more. I know argentines with apartments in NYC, Miami, and european cities. They get more, for less, here.

And, so do the poor people. Certainly, they often cant afford to buy at all, but the bar is still lower, even as a percentage of wages, and the taxes, utilities and expensas are lower as well, even taking into account being paid in pesos.

Peter Capusotto is an idiot. Lets just say he's no Juana Molina. Only funny bit he ever did was about the scary BOOO-Q-Bus.
Well, I find Caseros to be a retarded, Capusotto, instead, describes very well Macri.

People like to compare Buenos Aires to other cities as this justifies their arguments that it is cheap. It may be cheap for you with strong foreign currencies but for the pensioner who is lucky to get 200 dollars a month how can you justify building expenses and services close to 400 dollars a month. In Recoleta it is mostly populated by older ladies who in the main inherited their property and some savings which do not last forever. This is not a wealthy area like Palermo Chico or Puerto Madero where people are vastly wealthier and with cash flow

Definitely you can't compare Buenos Aires to other cities as far as what median income is. But those older ladies who inherited their property and don't have savings that last forever will have to do what many have had to do over over the past many decades / Century.... They will have to sell their property in one of the most expensive and upscale neighborhoods in the Continent and move to a cheaper neighborhood. Such is life.

You have to live within your means. I don't mean to belittle the problem. But you have to break it down to the simplest most basic point. The old ladies in Recoleta who inherited properties aren't who I worry about in Argentina. It's the really poor who don't even have anything to eat. Somehow I know those old women in Recoleta will get by just fine.

No one likes paying taxes or high utility bills. But overall the ABL bills for most smaller properties aren't too much relatively speaking for their present day values. Same thing for utility bills. For many, many years they were way way way too low. It wasn't realistic or economically feasible. CFK had them way too low and it was the reason why the infrastructure was broken. Anytime you have an issue with anything it can take months or even up to a year. They had to come up and they most likely will need to go even higher.

Back