Accent reduction coach near Palermo?

Fiscal

Registered
Hi

I'm looking for a private tutor who can help reduce my US English accent when I speak Castellaño. In the Palermo area preferably.

Quite a task to learn Porteño? must master intonation , rhythm , slang and,vocabulary. Perhaps you can go to Neutral Spanish which is what Argentine Actors learn to act in international Telenovelas..!

Look for a speech therapist, not a 'coach'. Any speech therapist can help you with this because it's within the realm of what they help native speakers who have speech impediments with.

I can't recommend a coach, but there is one thing I taught a friend which basically got her to 90% porteño accent: the aspirated S. Most instructors teach you the obvious stuff (like the "yeísmo"), but no one seems to touch on this topic. There really is a before and after in how porteño your accent sounds once you start doing it.

Basically, you need to make an aspirated S (which sounds like a slight English H) every time there is a consonant after the S. A porteño would never say "España," they will say "Ehpaña." "Estar" becomes "ehtar," "Pascuas" is "Pahcuas," you get the point.

This also applies to an S at the end of the word if the first letter of the next word is a consonant, e.g. "los perros" becomes "loh perros." So you would say "¿Ves?" if that's the whole sentence, but you would say "¿Veh por qué?"

If your level is already C2, with this and the yeísmo you'll be 90% there. The rest is, as others have mentioned, tone, pace, and slang/vocabulary, but if you're a C2 you probably have a good grasp of that already.

I can't recommend a coach, but there is one thing I taught a friend which basically got her to 90% porteño accent: the aspirated S. Most instructors teach you the obvious stuff (like the "yeísmo"), but no one seems to touch on this topic. There really is a before and after in how porteño your accent sounds once you start doing it.

It's a good tip and I agree. However, being 90% there means you have 10% more to go. And the last 10% is much harder than the first 10%.

Try contacting Silvia who posts on this site to see if she can help. I am currently taking lessons from her and she is an excellent instructor.

Try contacting Silvia who posts on this site to see if she can help. I am currently taking lessons from her and she is an excellent instructor.

I have heard she is excellent Jeff thank you for the heads up !

Basically, you need to make an aspirated S (which sounds like a slight English H) every time there is a consonant after the S. A porteño would never say "España," they will say "Ehpaña." "Estar" becomes "ehtar," "Pascuas" is "Pahcuas," you get the point.

This also applies to an S at the end of the word if the first letter of the next word is a consonant, e.g. "los perros" becomes "loh perros." So you would say "¿Ves?" if that's the whole sentence, but you would say "¿Veh por qué?"

If your level is already C2, with this and the yeísmo you'll be 90% there. The rest is, as others have mentioned, tone, pace, and slang/vocabulary, but if you're a C2 you probably have a good grasp of that already.

Hi, I think you gave him a good tip, but this "aspirated S" is typical of a low cultural level. It all depends on what is he looking for. If he wants to meet new people or apply for a job, he shouldn´t speak like that. Just my point of view, hope it will be useful. Regards. Roxana

Back