Accessing own cash in BsAs, amex or xoom or bring Cash

Greg2231 said:
I use option 2, with option 3 as a backup if I run out of cash, also last week I used option 4, which was to buy pesos in the US, I was able to get a rate of 6.50 from a coin/currency dealer in California, though I wouldnt advise holding more Pesos than you need for the next month or so.

Hi Gregg2231.
Option 4 . $6.50 pesos per Dollar, right here in the states? I am in Northern California as well, please define which Coin~Currency dealer you have dealt with. Why not holding more Pesos than necessary? Is it that the Argie Pesos
devaluating more so in the inmmediate future?

I'm afraid I can't agree with the detector method.

Last thing you want to do during/after exchanging money is stick around and verify the cash. You are setting yourself up for being followed/mugged.

Suggest you tell the buyer that you'll be coming soon to exchange more money. They will try to protect their source of income more than have you being mugged the first time you show up.

It's always a gamble.

Hybrid Ambassador said:
Hi Gregg2231.
Option 4 . $6.50 pesos per Dollar, right here in the states? I am in Northern California as well, please define which Coin~Currency dealer you have dealt with. Why not holding more Pesos than necessary? Is it that the Argie Pesos
devaluating more so in the inmmediate future?
It was in Southern California, but if you call around to a few Coin/Currency dealers you may find someone selling Pesos in your area, by the way my contact was also buying Pesos though I didn't get the rate.

I don't know of anyone that is expecting the Peso to strengthen in the coming months, and if you look what happened in the last six months with the Peso/Dollar Blue exchange rate it peaked back in June/July at around 6.90 during the Winter school holidays before coming back down when someone came on the market selling Dollars at 50 Centavos below the market rate(Government intervention?). So I would not be surprised to see a move in it when we get into the Summer holidays(December/January), possibly even breaking 7.

Greg2231 said:
I use option 2, with option 3 as a backup if I run out of cash, also last week I used option 4, which was to buy pesos in the US, I was able to get a rate of 6.50 from a coin/currency dealer in California, though I wouldnt advise holding more Pesos than you need for the next month or so.

How did you find said coin/currency dealer in California?

TomAtAlki said:
How did you find said coin/currency dealer in California?
I was stopping in Mexico City on the way back to BA, and went to a Coin/Currency dealer that I had done business with before in order to get some Mexican pesos, and knowing that in the past they dealt with Argentine Pesos I asked the rate, and when they quoted 6.50 I choose to also buy Argentine Pesos:).

Hybrid Ambassador said:
Hello forum,

Questions for you the savvy expats living in Argentina.
Which is the better method to send or bring US $ into Argentina.

1. Bring American Express Travelers Checks and go to one of their office
and cash them for Green Dollars?

2. Bring in less than US$10k on me and change for "BlueDollars" on Florida street?

3.Use Xoom services and retrieve ARgentine $ in one of Xoom assignated Banks?

Your experiences and advises will be very much appreciated!

hello, see private message in your inbox!

First, the sellers on Florida St do not sell themselves, they steer you to an small office or shop nearby to perform the operation.
Do not exchange huge amounts in one shot, change 500 or 1000 USD at a time.
Since they are a licenced business it is less likely that they will give you fake money.
There is a Gallery at the corner of Florida and Corrientes. way in the back there an office exchange there, they are fairly good at their rates, etc. Also in Galería Boston, Florida 138, I think.
Good luck

I know of someone on Lavalle and have taken several visitors to her and have not had any problem. I agree with what most people say I wouldn't exchange large amounts at a time & let them know that you will be back often. If you want to be introduced to the person that I know we can set up a time to meet. just send me a PM

HenryNisental said:
First, the sellers on Florida St do not sell themselves, they steer you to an small office or shop nearby to perform the operation.
Do not exchange huge amounts in one shot, change 500 or 1000 USD at a time.
Since they are a licenced business it is less likely that they will give you fake money.
There is a Gallery at the corner of Florida and Corrientes. way in the back there an office exchange there, they are fairly good at their rates, etc. Also in Galería Boston, Florida 138, I think.
Good luck

Hello Mr. HenryNisental, So the Arbolitos as they are called, street speculators? Do not exchange but works for _Casa de Cambios_? Do they get commissions from the _casa_? I will make note of your excellent doctrine!
Much obliged indeed.

jamila said:
I know of someone on Lavalle and have taken several visitors to her and have not had any problem. I agree with what most people say I wouldn't exchange large amounts at a time & let them know that you will be back often. If you want to be introduced to the person that I know we can set up a time to meet. just send me a PM

Hello jamila, Thank you for your helpful comment as well.
I will be sending you a "PM" soon when I will be ready to leave
towards, Santiago de Chile and BsAs.
Till then.

Back