Accommodation

buenos work

Registered
Hi All,

Thank you again for all the info in my last post. ;)

After doing some investigation in regards to the terms of my job, I understood that my firm is willing to cover up to 1200 US$ in rental expenses.

My Qs:

1. Which neighbourhood do you recommend for a couple (~30 y/o) who want to live in a secure, green and young area? is there a real difference between neighbor areas (e.g. Palermo Soho, Palermo Holywood and Recoleta)?

2. Would it be possible to find a 2-3 br apt. in the mentioned budget?

3. Any real estate office that are fair in their offers for expats (>1 year stay)? there are so many on-line sites and vast majority are offering furnished flats in an unreasonable prices (!)..

Thanks​

buenos work said:
1. Which neighbourhood do you recommend for a couple (~30 y/o) who want to live in a secure, green and young area? is there a real difference between neighbor areas (e.g. Palermo Soho, Palermo Holywood and Recoleta)?​

Where exactly in Buenos Aires will you be expected to work? How far are you willing to travel each day? Forgive my sweeping generalisations but most expats seem to live in the city centre barrios of Recoleta and Palermo and probably work in the Microcentro or thereabouts. Along with quite a few others, I personally prefer the securer, greener and less-pressured life in the suburbs. My friend who lives a few blocks from his railway station can get from home to his work in Retiro barrio by train in 25mts. But what's possible, practical and pleasant really hangs on where your company is located.

I personally favor Belgrano, specifically the area between Juan B. Justo, Cabildo and the river. It is more varied than Palermo or Recoleta (now filled with pubs, restaurants and trendy shops) and has a real neighborhood feel. Less crime, too.

Two-bedroom apartments are plentiful, but 3br. ones are much harder to find.

Try to arrange for your company to act as guarantor for your lease - that makes rentals cheaper, as the owner feels more secure.

elhombresinnombre said:
Where exactly in Buenos Aires will you be expected to work? How far are you willing to travel each day? Forgive my sweeping generalisations but most expats seem to live in the city centre barrios of Recoleta and Palermo and probably work in the Microcentro or thereabouts. Along with quite a few others, I personally prefer the securer, greener and less-pressured life in the suburbs. My friend who lives a few blocks from his railway station can get from home to his work in Retiro barrio by train in 25mts. But what's possible, practical and pleasant really hangs on where your company is located.
Thanks.

The office will probably be located in the center of BA and because of the nature of my job, I will have to live nearby..
Which neighbourhood do you recommend? Is it feasible to get a 2-3 br with a max budget of 1200 US$? Any reliable Real Estate office you know?

Have a nice day,

In the price range you mentioned, in Recoleta, you can certainly find a two-bedroom and probably a 3 bedroom.

The furnished flats you're seeing are temporary apartments and they are typically 50% to 100% more expensive than a regular long-term lease. Also, the contracts can only be made for a maximum of 6 months (although you can make arrangements with some owners to run consecutive contracts).

A long term rental here, by law, is a two year lease. You will need to have a guarantee to get a long term lease, or pay the entire lease up front, etc. As Sara mentioned, your company will probably be able to guarantee your lease as far as the owner is concerned, but I'm not sure what's involved with that exactly. Given that you have a monthly stipend, I don't think your company will pay the lease in advance, and if a sizeable cash deposit is involved, that may be hard to get out of your company as well.

Also, know that you must be in a lease at least 6 months (talking long-term, two year leases). After that, within the first year you will pay a two month penalty for breaking the contract. After the first year, you can break the contract with a one-month penalty.

Temporary leases usually include everything - including services.

I know many people who never see their security deposit as well, when talking long-term leases, particularly if it's broken.

If you are not posted here permanently, your company may be thinking that you will find temporary accomodations. You can probably find some 70 sm 2 bedroom apartments within the price range you are looking for.

Also, most 2 year leases do not come furnished. You will most likely have to think about buying furniture. There are a few apartments rented in long term leases that are furnished here and there, but they are relatively rare.

Also, with 2 year leases, you usually have to pay the building maintenance fee (expensas) and a city tax and such. Could be anywhere from 450 to 1500 pesos a month, depending on the building, the area, etc.

Belgrano will be something like a 30-40 minute trip getting to Centro (or MicroCentro? When you say "center" - where is that exactly?). Palermo something like 20-30 minutes maybe? This would be in rush hour, taking the subte, probably walking a bit to get to those points.

Recoleta is within walking distance of Micro Center, Centro, Congresso, etc, if you walk 10-20 blocks or so. San Martin is a nice area just next to Micro Center and is close to the other "central" areas. ReEcoleta is a bit more pricey but you can find deals there.

We just looked at a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment, 145 sm, in the little area bounded by Santa Fe, 9 de Julio, Libertador and Alem. Some have told me that is an extension of Recoleta, others a part of Retiro. It's pretty much next to MicroCenter and is a very nice area. The apartment was going for $1600 USD, but that includes all building expenses and taxes. The real estate agent swears we can talk the owner down to $1300 USD.

That's a bit more than you are talking about spending, but that's a high-priced example of what you can find in a nice area close to the center of things. We looked at another int he same area, still very nice, for $1300 USD expenses included, but had 125 sm. I'm betting that could be talked down if the other one could.

I've seen similar apartments in Belgrano (not nearly as luxurious as the ones I saw though, and usually not as well laid out) priced at about $900-1000 USD.

Where do you mean when you say "center of BA"?

Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished apt?

As El Queso said, if you are looking for long-term, it is usually a 2 year lease (typically rents increase 20% in 2nd year). And those are almost always unfurnished apts. If you rent a furnished, maximum is 6 months but you can just continue to renew.

If you rent unfurnished, keep in mind the need to furnish and the costs entailed. Also you will need to confirm what expensas are for apt.

ElQueso said:
We just looked at a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment, 145 sm, in the little area bounded by Santa Fe, 9 de Julio, Libertador and Alem. Some have told me that is an extension of Recoleta, others a part of Retiro. It's pretty much next to MicroCenter and is a very nice area.

That's a great area, close to everything but sort of an island, cut off from the worst of traffic by the 9 de Julio.

Thank you SO much for all the information. It's relieving to know that we can get an appropriate accommadation with this budget..

Back