Advice For A Newcomer!

Tommy1978

Registered
Hi all,

I am moving to Argentina from London in mid April for just over 3 months.

right now I am caught between 2 options:

1 - get a small studio in BA, use it as a base, discover the city, and do some travelling for a week / weekend here and there. I like this option a lot but am struggling to find a small studio in a central neighborhood right now. ideally would like to spend around $500-600 per month. I want a simple place with wifi for work in a safe, central location (too much to ask?!) I love cities and people watching. discovering BA and its culture would be wonderful.

2 - find a nice and peaceful country setting and really discover the natural sights and sounds of Argentina. a quieter option and a different feel - but I would love it also. does anyone have a recommendation for such a place? somewhere to rent and live simply in peace. (maybe a local bar to meet people tho!), go for walks, runs etc...

maybe a combination of both will be best.

any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated,

thanks

Why not divide your time between BsAs say for 6 weeks and a quieter place for the other six weeks? $500-600 dollars us is on the very low side for tourist rentals especiLly in areas like Palermo and Recoleta, but can be found. Try the usual websites (Airbnb, Homeaway, BytArg among others And the classifieds on this forum. Or use BsAs as your base and take weekend trips to the country. Seems like you might want to do more research on the"country"option. it's like asking someone where to go for a country feel in the UK! The options are vast and a varied.... Good luck

Im not sure of the weekend trips. Theres a lot to see in Argentina, but definetely takes more than a weekend each trip. The parts you would able to see in weekend trips are only Buenos Aires province, which its OK, but the rest of Argentina is way better.

Rosario is a big city though. if u want nature its a bit harder. especially as the south and uruguay get cold and less visitor-friendly in april/may. i say head north to salta area or even mendoza/ places in the cordoba province. as mentioned before, it's hard to use BA as a base and settle just for weekend trips cuz the distances to the great places are far and airplane tickets very costly for foreigners!

thanks for the replies all. very helpful,
I am still researching the BA as a base (or cheap rental for half my trip at least..) there are some interesting offers around. but usually they fall down when it comes to the neighborhood.

when it comes to trips out of BA it is clear I need to think in terms of 7-10 days.

Salta and mendoza are really interesting to me. I want to go to Mendoza and into Santiago for a stay... I wonder if it will be worthwhile to rent in Mendoza for a few weeks and use it as a base... I have not seen many good bargains there though oddly enough, seems expensive.. I will go back to the drawing board here and look into Salta also.

I will surely be back for some more advice! thanks again all

Maybe do part of your time in the city of Buenos Aires, and the other part far out in the province, maybe Tandil ?

There are options for small (200-300 sq. ft) studio apartments with a kitchenette in the Centro / Congreso / Monserrat neighborhoods in the $500-$600 U$D price range. I know of some apartments in my building (9 de Julio & Av. de Mayo) that rent for around $600 U$D per month through ByT Argentina. Not a bad deal if you just need a small furnished place to rest your head and fix something simple to eat. Other neighborhoods like Palermo & Recoleta start around $900 to $1000 U$D per month for the same kind of place.

how is your spanish? use sites like soloduenos.com , rent directly with the owner. i've done a temp rental here in BA, PM me if you need some help/advice.. in my opinion you could do a lot with 500-600 USD / month

Back