Advice for moving to Buenos Aires

There are police on every block in Nuñez and Palermo, too. The reason is that the police tend to patrol more in safe, rich areas, because their primary function is to protect the rich, and they themselves are scared to show their face in the actual dangerous areas. The fact that they're in San Telmo shows that it's not at all dangerous, unless you walk into the nearby villa or something.
My girlfriend used to work at a hotel and advised a tourist to not go out to San Telmo wearing his expensive watch. He ignored the advice as he thought he knew it all. Ended up getting violently robbed at knife point and sustaining bad injuries to his arms. Of course certain parts of San Telmo are safer than others, but blatantly denying this area can get unsafe is wrong. Of course robberies happen everywhere in this city, but San Telmo is different because one wrong turn down a street and you can be in trouble, something you won't really experience in Palermo Belgrano Villa Crespo etc. Just my opinion

Last edited:
There were policemen late at night, around the block in Sta Fe Ave where I lived , later I found out the cops are paid by restaurants and businesses for protection the cops are earning overtime...:rolleyes: Safe unsafe criteria. ?

Many expats romantise San Telmo due to its image of charm mixed with the tango. It is not a safe neighbourhood except a few blocks. Of course if you are very low key and walk with no phone or cameras you will be ok. No comparison to Puerto Madero or Palermo Nuevo

what is your budget? in dollars or pesos?

palermo is a pretty popular area. i think this board does a meet up in that area.

I'm hoping to spend around $400 - $500 USD as the top of my budget.

I agree with ALL the others. San Telmo can get really sketchy at night. Definitely the areas to stay in are either Palermo (Soho, Hollywood Viajo), Recoleta are all great options. Definitely Puerto Madero is super safe but too sterile and doesn't feel like Buenos Aires. Belgrano is very nice and residential but too far away for my tastes to everything.

I'm hoping to spend around $400 - $500 USD as the top of my budget.

Take advantage of the current exchange rate and get a place with a landlord that allows you to pay in pesos. 500 USD converts to 19,700 pesos at the moment which can get you a very nice apartment in a nice area.

Take advantage of the current exchange rate and get a place with a landlord that allows you to pay in pesos. 500 USD converts to 19,700 pesos at the moment which can get you a very nice apartment in a nice area.

What you say is TRUE for an unfurnished apt. with GARANTIA, on a 2 year contract payable in pesos.... For a furnished place on a Temporary rental basis $600 will get you a room in a shared appt. maybe shared Bathroom

Back