Advice for moving to Buenos Aires

ajmc89

Registered
Hello!

I am looking to live in Buenos Aires for three months from January - March 2019. I currently work at a company in the U.S. and they allow us to work abroad for a certain period. I'll be working full-time while I live in Argentina so I am looking to get the most out of my experience living there even thought I will be working full-time. I'm looking for advice on:

- Best affordable areas to live
- Apartment options with other expats or expat-friendly communities
- Areas that have a expat communities
- Areas that have free or low cost co-working spaces
- Options for practicing Spanish

Looking forward to chatting with you all more!

what is your budget? in dollars or pesos?

palermo is a pretty popular area. i think this board does a meet up in that area.

Palermo Belgrano and Recoleta are nice areas but can be a little more expensive than usual. Villa Crespo and certain parts of Almagro are very similar yet lower in price

Try Craigslist and AirBNB for apartments

Palermo and San Telmo have tonnes of expats (San Telmo is shady after dark)

Not sure about number 4& for teaching, from personal experience I would check Craigslist

Reactions: PSK
Palermo Belgrano and Recoleta are nice areas but can be a little more expensive than usual. Villa Crespo and certain parts of Almagro are very similar yet lower in price

Try Craigslist and AirBNB for apartments

Palermo and San Telmo have tonnes of expats (San Telmo is a little shady after dark)

Not sure about number 4& for teaching, from personal experience I would check Craigslist
I don't know why people say San Telmo is a little shady after dark. It is not. The streets are all well lit. There are policia on almost every block. I walk home late at night alone often. I would say La Boca after dark or even in the day, no. But San Telmo, that's just not true.

I don't know why people say San Telmo is a little shady after dark. It is not. The streets are all well lit. There are policia on almost every block. I walk home late at night alone often. I would say La Boca after dark or even in the day, no. But San Telmo, that's just not true.
There is a reason that there are Police on almost every block ;). I'm just speaking based on what I've heard from Argentinians, born and raised in this city. Go ahead and find out for yourself but if you want my advice it isn't the best area in terms of safety

i've walked through san telmo through the wee hours of the morning too, without issue, but it always gave me an uneasy feeling haha.

also you should be aware of neighborhoods with power cuts in the summer. i am not sure if it is still as bad as it has been in the past but something to ask about.

There is a reason that there are Police on almost every block ;). I'm just speaking based on what I've heard from Argentinians, born and raised in this city. Go ahead and find out for yourself but if you want my advice it isn't the best area in terms of safety
I live in San Telmo. I walk the streets everyday.

I would choose Palermo hands down... its all emotional..:rolleyes:

There is a reason that there are Police on almost every block ;).

There are police on every block in Nuñez and Palermo, too. The reason is that the police tend to patrol more in safe, rich areas, because their primary function is to protect the rich, and they themselves are scared to show their face in the actual dangerous areas. The fact that they're in San Telmo shows that it's not at all dangerous, unless you walk into the nearby villa or something.

Back