Advice needed: stuff held "hostage"!

Nowcen

Registered
Hello Expats!

I'm finding myself in a strange situation. I sub letted an apartment for 2 months and then spent a month traveling in brazil (coming back to ba tonight!) I had asked the owner of the apt if I could leave my things there and pick them up when I come back and, if he hadn't found a renter, stay at the apartment again.

11days after my departure the owner returned to th apt and saw a window had broken and the apt was messy. He is accusing me of breaking the window and is furious. Of course i had nothing to do with it, and on top o that never paid a deposit or signed a contract (oh Argentina!) do I really have no obligation to pay for anything, but to show my good intentions an sincerity I've agreed o pay a portion of the costs to repair and clean.

Now I am trying to reclaim my things at the apt, he has the only key and refuses to respond to me! When I get to ba I will of course visit the apt personally and see what I can do but I want to be prepared with an arsenal of strategies. I have only 5 days before I leave the country.

Any advice? Do I have any legal resources, or should I not even bother? Anyone found themselves in a similar situation? I don't think he's trying to rob me (that would be a profound waste of time...nothing to rob) I just think he has sme anger management issues.

Thanks team! Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend!

Most probably he know you have nothing to do with it but wants to take advantage of the situation I wonder if you could tell him that if you put his name on the expat websites is not going to be a good promotion for him and if he can give you the things back and if possible ....in a public place even better
Reina

Reactions: tez
Nowcen said:
Hello Expats!

I'm finding myself in a strange situation. I sub letted an apartment for 2 months and then spent a month traveling in brazil (coming back to ba tonight!) I had asked the owner of the apt if I could leave my things there and pick them up when I come back and, if he hadn't found a renter, stay at the apartment again.

11days after my departure the owner returned to th apt and saw a window had broken and the apt was messy. He is accusing me of breaking the window and is furious. Of course i had nothing to do with it, and on top o that never paid a deposit or signed a contract (oh Argentina!) do I really have no obligation to pay for anything, but to show my good intentions an sincerity I've agreed o pay a portion of the costs to repair and clean.

Now I am trying to reclaim my things at the apt, he has the only key and refuses to respond to me! When I get to ba I will of course visit the apt personally and see what I can do but I want to be prepared with an arsenal of strategies. I have only 5 days before I leave the country.

Any advice? Do I have any legal resources, or should I not even bother? Anyone found themselves in a similar situation? I don't think he's trying to rob me (that would be a profound waste of time...nothing to rob) I just think he has sme anger management issues.

Thanks team! Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend!

If your things are still in the apartment and you didn't sign a document returning the keys to the owner, you are still technically occupying the apartment. You are both in the wrong, though, for not signing a contract. This is going to be a very difficult problem to solve if the owner doesn't want to cooperate.

I don't think it's such a disaster, he probably just wants to try to handle things in person; I'm not sure why you'd need access to your things until you are in BA. I think if you take an aggressive approach it won't take you very far. Just be patient and persistent. I've often found when dealing with real estate situations, if you take an approach of almost killing them with kindness/politeness, they will match it and act like they hadn't been unreasonable or emotional at an earlier point.

Reactions: tez
Get a couple of ferocious friends, together go to your llś home and threaten to beat the living crap out of him there and then if he doesnt give you a valid key or accompany you to the pad and permit entry then and there. >People relate to violence very well. If his conduct is typical of ARG, then this shit place and shit residents should be quite comfortable with a law of the jungle approach to handling everyday problems.

Well those were excellent responses, thanks.

Got it all back. As soon as I called from a a number he did not know (ie a number not associated with me) he picked up his phone, and I once I had the opportunity to talk to him we worked it out. He still doesn't believe me, and he's still livid, but...I have the stuff back. Guess I fit the profile of a window-breaking punk.

Learned a lot. Better luck next time.

Nowcen said:
Well those were excellent responses, thanks.

Got it all back. As soon as I called from a a number he did not know (ie a number not associated with me) he picked up his phone, and I once I had the opportunity to talk to him we worked it out. He still doesn't believe me, and he's still livid, but...I have the stuff back. Guess I fit the profile of a window-breaking punk.

Learned a lot. Better luck next time.
Good for you--- nice to hear a happy ending occasionally!

Back