Aerolineas dropping NZ/AU route.

davonz

Registered
I have just been told by a friend in Swiss that areolineas is dropping the NZ/AU route from 30th June.. Has anyone else heard this ?
I havent flown with aerolineas for 3 years from NZ because of the cancelation/service etc, but if only LAN is flying the route its going to become expensive without the competition.

I am also a little sad as i can remember in the 70's and 80's being told by my dad that "theres the aerolineas flight" when we were up the farm early in the morning as it flew over, as it was the only big plane coming from the south at that time of the day.

I have also heard that Air NZ is looking at south america as a distination.

Yes the flight is being cancelled due to poor loads.

The Sydney route is being maintained.

glasgowjohn said:
The Sydney route is being maintained.

OK, i just did a google and they are starting a direct EZE-SYD flight.

http://www.mensajeroweb.com.ar/inde...esento-su-plan-de-vuelos-internacionales-2012

I had been told that the staff got a 1 week turn around in NZ, staying in a good hotel in queen street, and it was costing the company heaps and the staff/union didnt want it changed. So new flight, new staff contact/rules etc, and maybe they will only have a 2 day turn around like most other airlines would have for the same route..

I am not sure how they can make money on it as qantas dropped it for this reason, and now instead goes to Santiago.

davonz said:
OK, i just did a google and they are starting a direct EZE-SYD flight.

http://www.mensajeroweb.com.ar/inde...esento-su-plan-de-vuelos-internacionales-2012

I had been told that the staff got a 1 week turn around in NZ, staying in a good hotel in queen street, and it was costing the company heaps and the staff/union didnt want it changed. So new flight, new staff contact/rules etc, and maybe they will only have a 2 day turn around like most other airlines would have for the same route..

I am not sure how they can make money on it as qantas dropped it for this reason, and now instead goes to Santiago.

Do you mean Qantas no longer goes EZE - SYD direct? I flew direct SYD-EZE in October last year, didnt realise they didnt fly back the other way any more?

EDIT - just checked this out myself, 100% correct. Disappointing!

Probably the best thing they could do is just shut the whole thing down. Right now its a big money loser costing the taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars a year with no end in sight. It being used as a piggy bank for the K's and their cronies. When the current government falls and a new government comes into power I would expect financial reality and priorities will result in the plug being pulled fairly quickly. It will then be re-privatized or a new airline will be started to replace it and the drain on taxpayer funds will end.

Back