Afip Dog Finds $85,000 Hidden In A Car

It did crossed my mind ,that the whole thing could have been staged by the gov to send a message to all those with money ''under the matress'' still.
These tactics have been used in the past under other regimes......... ;) Damn i gotta quit listening to the voices in my head!!!!

This is not a problem that I have to worry about.

I do not own a car.

I do not own a motorized vehicle.

I do not have US$85,000.

In fact, I don't think that I've made US$85,000 since I moved to Argentina 7 1/2 years ago.

And to think, when working for a post-production/graphic design house in LA (Santa Monica) 12 years ago, it was no big deal for me to walk a few blocks to the bank with 1/4 to over a 1/3 of a million dollars of checks in my pocket to make a deposit and then pick up some coffee orders from Starbucks on the way back.

US$250,000 to US$333,000+ was nada.

There are no limits on how much money you can bring into or out of Argentina, but there are controls in place to ensure (as GS said) that all taxes have been paid and that the money is not illicit. The suspects in question here were welcome to bring their money in, but they broke the law by not declaring it (presumably to avoid paying import customs).

Thus they are not trying to "block the movement of capital" as you allege.

Furthermore, I do not know of any countries that do not have these controls in place, and the 10,000 figure is pretty standard in the US, EU, Canada, Switzerland...

This is blatant misinformation; the reality is that UNDER $10,000 USD maybe be taken OUT of Argentina in any foreign currency and aggregate amounts OVER $10,000 USD in value may only be taken out in Argentine pesos subsequent to a written declaration AND acceptable documentation substantiating the origin of the funds. In theory any amount OVER $10,000 USD may enter Argentina subsequent to a written declaration AND depending upon the circumstances and amount being declared documentation substantiating the origin of the funds.

In Europe, the maximum without a written declaration is 10,000 Euros and Hong Kong has NO reporting requirements whatsoever on the entrance/exit of currency.

The one thing that bothers me is that the 10K limit, as widespread internationally as it may be... has been for at least over 20 years unchanged. I really don't know when it was first introduced (I assume it started with the war on drugs back in the 70s?). However 10K used to buy a lot more back in 1990 than it buys in 2014... yet it remains the same. I think that's not right.

AFIP is starting new Controls in restaurants, placing cameras, to determine the number of clients visiting every day to asses the veracity of their tax declarations. :cool: Big Brother is watching you!

AFIP is starting new Controls in restaurants, placing cameras, to determine the number of clients visiting every day to asses the veracity of their tax declarations. :cool: Big Brother is watching you!

Contando los choripanes!

Back