AFIP "investigating" foreigner porperty owners?

Regrettably I have no more patience for Argentina, and I am keen to divest myself of my last three Buenos Aires apartments. Unfortunately, for whichever latest regulation, I have now had two sales completely blocked by the the AFIP, and thereby both sales have now been lost.

The whole process has taken months and months with absolutely no solution in sight.

In an effort to find a magical solution, could someone please recommend someone (presumably a contador) who really knows what's going on and how one get a solution to this nightmare ? I am assuming that the only advisor worth much is probably someone who has once worked for AFIP and still has friends there. Once again the problem is that every Argentino will always say he knows someone who can fix everything, even if they absolutely do not, in an effort to wangle a commission - and thereby waste your time and of course money.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

powwap said:
Regrettably I have no more patience for Argentina, and I am keen to divest myself of my last three Buenos Aires apartments. Unfortunately, for whichever latest regulation, I have now had two sales completely blocked by the the AFIP, and thereby both sales have now been lost.

The whole process has taken months and months with absolutely no solution in sight.

In an effort to find a magical solution, could someone please recommend someone (presumably a contador) who really knows what's going on and how one get a solution to this nightmare ? I am assuming that the only advisor worth much is probably someone who has once worked for AFIP and still has friends there. Once again the problem is that every Argentino will always say he knows someone who can fix everything, even if they absolutely do not, in an effort to wangle a commission - and thereby waste your time and of course money.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you, must be terribly frustrating. Could you provide a few more details on what the issues are? Perhaps someone who as already been through the same thing can offer the solution that worked for them and the people they used to reslove.

Powap, When you say that the sales were "blocked" by AFIP are you saying there was no possibility of resolution of your issues with AFIP or was it the case that they simply took too long and your buyers canceled? I know an expat who recently waited several months for the COTI from AFIP and was very concerned about losing the sale.

This past June, after accepting an offer to sell my apartment, an Argentine accountant (recommended at least once on this forum) told me that it would take 90 days to get the "permission" to sell from AFIP as he handed me the list of regulations which apply to a foreigner (living outside of Argentina) who is selling property here. He indicated that a "regalo" to anyone at AFIP was not acceptable.

Fortunately, as I previously posted in this thread, I was able to get approval to sell from AFIP very quickly (using a different accountant), but I only owned one apartment, had lived in it full time without renting, and met the other requirements for the ITI tax exemption.

powwap said:

Powap,

It is unclear to me by your post if you had been paying your personal tax annually over the years, if your had been paying tax on any rental income received, and if you had kept your utility bills since you had purchased the properties. All of these issues have to be addressed when selling.

I have an accountant with whom i've done 3 sales of properties in the last 12 months, going through all the processes with AFIP. It was quicker each time as we knew what they'd ask for in advance, rather than them keep asking for new things. The issue was that AFIP don't seem to tell you everything you need at the beginning, that's why it takes so long as they ask for something new every week. The last and quickest operation we did in about 3 weeks though.

According to my local accountant, I am avoiding part of the AFIP hassle at sale by having a monotributo (you don't need a DNI to get one) and reporting my rentals as income, and paying the whopping 209 pesos per month tax. This works up to some maximum of peso income per year.

As to "blocked' sales, non-DNI holders need to prove they have paid their wealth tax and thier ABL up to date, as a minimum. If you have not paid those, it is pretty simple to pay them and the sale goes thru.

The rental issue is not so cut and dried. What caused your problem?

As an aside, this is not good news for foreigners who want to purchase property in Argentina. This recent change regarding needing permission in order to sell one's property is scary because the permission can always be denied.

This does not apply to people married into local families or people with permanent residency. But, even with temporary residency, permission can be denied.

steveinbsas said:
Selling opens up a big can of worms, but it looks like AFIP is now engaged in a worm hunt, whether you are selling or not. If you have a DNI and the amount you paid and are selling for is less than 305K, it will go a lot smoother. A good accountant is necessary. I can recommend one. Beware of those who speak English or charge more than $400 pesos for each tax year you need to file.

Hi Steve - I'm new to renting proerty (owner) in BsAs and need to sort an accountant to file my taxes, would you be able the make any recommendation please? Much appreciation in advance.
Mike

steveinbsas said:
As a resident, your worldwide income is also subject to taxation.

Steve,

You seem to know about Argentine taxes. I want to know if a resident is living less than 6 months a year in Ar , is his worldwide income still liable for taxes and especially if he is earning 0 us$ in Ar and has no property or car in Ar.

Thanks.

Back