AFIP "investigating" foreigner porperty owners?

Captain Cheetah said:
Steve,

You seem to know about Argentine taxes. I want to know if a resident is living less than 6 months a year in Ar , is his worldwide income still liable for taxes and especially if he is earning 0 us$ in Ar and has no property or car in Ar.

Thanks.

According to a recent post (by Sleuth?), if you have temporary residency you now have to actually be in Argentina for 180 days of the year to renew it.

That would make you "liable" for paying taxes on your worldwide assets and income, but in previous years AFIP has "ignored" temporary residents who are "not participating in the Argentine economy." The new 180 day rule could be a tax trap meant to ensnare temporary residents, especially those with the visa rentista which now requires a foreign income of $8000 pesos per month. That's a very attractive target for AFIP to collect income taxes, and BP tax could also be applied to the assets that produce the income.

If you are here on a tourist visa (residencia transitoria) and don't have a DNI you have nothing to worry about. I don't think there's any advantage to having temporary residency if you're here less than six months of the year.

BA_Investor said:
Hi Steve - I'm new to renting proerty (owner) in BsAs and need to sort an accountant to file my taxes, would you be able the make any recommendation please? Much appreciation in advance.
Mike

Here are the contact details for my accountant:

Fernando Nesis
Av. Roque Saenz Peña 710, 1º Piso, Oficina E
Ciudad de Buenos Aires – CP 1035

Teléfono 5254-9025

You can tell him you got his info from me.:)

rmartinbuenosaires said:
I guess when a society, from the top down, is corrupt and unscrupulous, they assume everyone else in the world is too. ANYTHING to attempt to get even more money out of foreigners. They just continue to bite the hand that feeds them. It is pretty pathetic.

What percentage of AFIP revenue comes from foreigners, as you put it? Or from local real estate owned by foreigners? How does this compare with the value and percentage of US real estate owned by non-US citizens, and what are the comparable IRS and property tax revenues on this real estate? These percentages are typically small, but grossly exaggerated in political speech.

Back