Afip Request To Purchase Dollars - Anyone Still Able To?

Get an Argentinean credit card (or two) immediately. I just used them during a month-and-a-half-long trip back home and got a 30-35% discount off everything :)

Get an Argentinean credit card (or two) immediately. I just used them during a month-and-a-half-long trip back home and got a 30-35% discount off everything :)

Know of any banks that will issue one to a resident who only has a temporary DNI (Only have a two year working visa)?

How did you get a discount? was it an offer on the card or what do you mean exactly? thanks!

I'm guessing that means the poster has access to dollars and exchanged at blue rate to pay off the credit card, hence the savings (even with the then 15% surcharge). So charge $1000 USD worth of stuff, get bill for 5750 pesos and pay it off with $715 USD exchanged to pesos at blue rate 8x1.

How did you get a discount? was it an offer on the card or what do you mean exactly? thanks!

Simple, i give you an example, he go outside the country and buy a wine that will cost him 10 euros supose, he don't pay with the euros he pay on the credit card, then that 10 euros he sell in the blue market back in argentina and with that money he pay the credit card in pesos and there you have he is having a 35-50 % discount in dollars

Citygirl and Lamarque, that's exactly it! Having an Argentinean credit card is a huge advantage at this moment if you go abroad, or even if you live abroad, even with the 20% charge the difference is still 30% or more.

@Airiq: if you have permanent resident status you should be able to open an Argentinean account and thus get an Argentinean credit card. The credit limit will depend on your salary, though.

Citygirl and Lamarque, that's exactly it! Having an Argentinean credit card is a huge advantage at this moment if you go abroad, or even if you live abroad, even with the 20% charge the difference is still 30% or more.

@Airiq: if you have permanent resident status you should be able to open an Argentinean account and thus get an Argentinean credit card. The credit limit will depend on your salary, though.

Well, I have a temporary working visa (two year) and thus, my DNI is also temporary. I was able to open a bank account, however, they would not issue me a credit card, because of the temporary status of my DNI. I'm told that if I renew my working visa past two years (ie. extend for another year, or more) I would be able to get a permanent DNI. Tried both with my bank (Santander) and with American Express. No dice.

Back