AFIP will control your expenses in May: from what amounts should your bank report

This was written during the previous administration...are you sure that it even applies now???
AFIP already knows all and sees all. Many just don't realize it. All of it is connected to your DNI. Every business en blanco needs to invoice their revenue & expenses to a DNI or CUIL.

Every time you enter your DNI in a POSNET at a restaurant or almacen, it's registered in a centralized record as your expense (and their revenue). Every time a store goes to swipe your card and they ask your DNI #, it's registered as your expense. Any utility bill, phone bill, health insurance, rental contract etc. that was enrolled using your DNI is recorded as your expense, every month.

Some of you may think that by using a foreign credit card or cash, you can avoid having to declare any income. But it's the contrary. They can see all your expenses and no corresponding revenue declared and know that you are financing your lifestyle en negro.

AFIP already knows all and sees all. Many just don't realize it. All of it is connected to your DNI. Every business en blanco needs to invoice their revenue & expenses to a DNI or CUIL.

Every time you enter your DNI in a POSNET at a restaurant or almacen, it's registered in a centralized record as your expense (and their revenue). Every time a store goes to swipe your card and they ask your DNI #, it's registered as your expense. Any utility bill, phone bill, health insurance, rental contract etc. that was enrolled using your DNI is recorded as your expense, every month.

Some of you may think that by using a foreign credit card or cash, you can avoid having to declare any income. But it's the contrary. They can see all your expenses and no corresponding revenue declared and know that you are financing your lifestyle en negro.
Are Western Union transfers picked up in cash by those who have residency in Argentina with a DNI, but don't have an Argentine bank account, and use their foreign passport as an ID when they send money to themselves subject to the same scrutiny by AFIP?

I thought Milei banned usage of the word "free" by government employees. Nothing is ever free - you either pay through higher taxes or higher inflation.

Are Western Union transfers picked up in cash by those who have residency in Argentina with a DNI, but don't have an Argentine bank account, and use their foreign passport as an ID when they send money to themselves subject to the same scrutiny by AFIP?
It's my understanding that cash Western Union transfers using your passport are not accessible by AFIP.

You could theoretically live down here en negro the way you described but it requires being a permanent tourist, which can be expensive and unstable.

It's my understanding that cash Western Union transfers using your passport are not accessible by AFIP.
So, if AFIP nevet knows about these transfers, it males sense that:
You could theoretically live down here en negro the way you described but it requires being aever permanent tourist, which can be expensive and unstable

But not if you have temporary or permanent residency and do not use your DNI when making transfers?

How could AFIP ever "connect the dots" if the resident always pays for everything they by with those funds in cash and never asks for a "ticket" when they pay?

Last edited:
How could AFIP ever "connect the dots" if the resident always pays for everything they by with those funds in cash and never asks for a "ticket" when they pay?
PS: "resident" means an individual who has temporary or permanent residency in Argentina but uses a passport when making the transfer when picking up and spending those funds in Argentina (in order to avoid creating a paper trail for AFIP to track)?

So, if AFIP nevet knows about these transfers, it males sense that:

But not if you have temporary or permanent residency and do not use your DNI when making transfers?
I don't believe the residency matters, what matters is whether your money movements are being associated to an Argentine Tax ID number (DNI/CUIL).

You can opt out of the formal system by using a foreign ID and liquidating foreign cash and none would probably be the wiser. This is no different than being undocumented in the US and trying to operate without a Social Security number. You can't finance anything, you can't rent an apartment, you can't be employed in the formal sector, can't have a bank account, use a credit card, etc. etc.

Well you can....but you have to be pretty creative. I once met a Venezuelan in Texas that explained a way that it's done. A documented person would rent a house, lease a car and set up a "gig economy" account (say Uber). An undocumented immigrant arrives rents a room in his house, rents his car and "rents" his Uber account. The owner collects rent on all of it. The immigrant makes his cash, Western Union's it back home. Rinse and repeat.

This is not very different from an expat having a verbal rental contract and all the utilities are in the owner's name.

I don't believe the residency matters, what matters is whether your money movements are being associated to an Argentine Tax ID number (DNI/CUIL).

My question is about someone who actually has a DNI/CUIL/CUIT and makes Western Union transfers only using a passport when picking up the funds.

I assume the name on their passport would match exactly the legal name of an individual with residency in Argentina with a DNI but not appear in the details of the transfer.

I am also assuming the obvious fact that the name of passport holder is linked to migraciones and their presence in Argentina is always known...at least by migraciones.

I am asking how likely it would be for AFIP to connect the dots and link the transfers to the (most likely permanent) resident who nnotnis obviously trying to prevent AFIP from knowing that they are recieving funds and not declaring them if and when they are required by law to do so...

...and what the consequences will be if and when that happens.

My question is about someone who actually has a DNI/CUIL/CUIT and makes Western Union transfers only using a passport when picking up the funds.

I assume the name on their passport would match exactly the legal name of an individual with residency in Argentina with a DNI but not appear in the details of the transfer.
I mean the DNI/CUIL would not be included in the details recorded by Western Union when the cash is picked up.

Forgive me but this conversation seems to be taking a very 1+1=2 approach to information. What about all the metadata that everyone sheds everywhere they go and everything they do? What about everything Meta, Microsoft, Google and a whole host of other entities collect from you every day - whether or not you have Meta, Microsoft or Google accounts? Who do you suppose they sell all this stuff to?

Back