African-American life in BA

Hello Vaughnyb:I don't think you have to worry about that issue so much at the end argentian people are somehow smart people and the ones that can judge you will be talking about their own ignorance. I truly can say that I have been in BA once and I am also a brown skin person and I did not notice anyone looking at me in a uncomfortable way. If you are planning to stay there for such a long time I can offer you my truly friendship and my Free Spanish lessons. Hoping to hear from you.
Let me know.

What I wonder about is whether random strangers on the street call him and refer to him as "negro". One of the things that was surprising at first about Costa Rica was their tendency to refer to people by race/physical appearance without the slightest pretense of what we refer to as political correctness.

I don't think argentineans will refer him as negro, they will probably call him american rather than negro. He also has to take into account that argentinean people call between themselves as negro or negrita as a lovely term to show love. It's very common to see an argentinean calling her friend negro, or negrito, but they are not talking about the color of the skin , its just a term they use in a friendly way.

Thank you for all your responses! I think I will have a good time overall, but I do believe that as one poster put ""I will be seen as a curious thing" (smile) especially to those argentinians who do not deal with blacks on a "one on one" basis. But thats never discouraged me in the past.
I also am familiar that latin people use the term "negrito" or "negro" as a term of endearment, so I am more than flattered when I hear it. The only question in my mind now is that it will be a big exchange in cultures but hey, that is what world travel is about anyway and even more so in Argentina because there will be two exchanges going on, one of the American culture nad one of the African American culture which is very interesting. I am a people observer by nature and welcome this kind of exchange but I think also because of my nature it will not be a "regular vacation" and I welcome it and I should be ready for the experience.
My main goal in traveling is to exchange cultures, thats why I teach english and "apprediendo espanol, I figured this is the quickest and most efficient way tp do this.
Thanks for all your comments and dont be surprised if you hear from me next year to share some good face to face conversation and coffee.
vaya con dios
vaughnyb

This is very interesting! I follow Argie newspapers from here (Germany)
and it seems as if Argentines would like to know more about african-stemming people. And why there are so little of them, and just over the river in Montevideo there are so many more. I think there is a problem with racism in Cordoba, (Nazi flags at football games in Talleres stadium, etc), but in terms of BsAs and the rest, probably not. From all my friends from Arg. i have never heard say anything about black people. I have heard racist comments about South Americans from bordering countries though :(

I beleive calling people names which is rife in porteno society is not a term of endearment as Argentines profess.
There is rascism here and the term they use for other south americans are rude and condescending and would be very rarely heard in most societies.

Maybe you should look what you have at home first: a countr full of ghettos in every city, Katrina sounds familiar?, building a wall to keep mexicans out? Talk about racism!

I am not american and do not condone american policy so to state hear that anyone who critisizes argentina should go to the Usa is very insensitive.
Its strange but I have found my fellow argentine citizens very critical of their country and people but when an expat dares to say a word of critisism they are told to leave .
Argentina is the most beautiful country and I beleive that it offers a lot of reasons to be here . Everyone is welcome here and your opinions are yours to be expressed in free forums here

Well ive witnessed the problems with discrimination, call it social or racial, here first hand and posted on it.
Look at the tv and commercials here. White as an Alaskan blizzard. look at the office towers in Retiro, same thing. They live in a delusion and do their best to forget yesterday.

"pericles" said:
I am not american and do not condone american policy so to state hear that anyone who critisizes argentina should go to the Usa is very insensitive.
Its strange but I have found my fellow argentine citizens very critical of their country and people but when an expat dares to say a word of critisism they are told to leave .
Argentina is the most beautiful country and I beleive that it offers a lot of reasons to be here . Everyone is welcome here and your opinions are yours to be expressed in free forums here
Being critical helps growing, insulting on the other hand only generates nasty reactions. I think any expat paying taxes, investing or contributing to the country´s growth in any way - instead of speculating with exchange rates, etc has each and every right to criticise, everything, this is a country of inmigrants. But then again, that is just my opinion.V

Back